Milgard Tuscany vs Simonton 5500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
tsanltr

Milgard Tuscany vs Simonton 5500

#1 Post by tsanltr »

Replacing 27 double hung windows in Central TX. Have comparably priced quotes from two installers, one for Milgard Tuscany single hungs (we never open our windows so single hungs are OK) and one for Simonton 5500 double hungs (Simonton does not sell 5500 single hungs). Looking for opinions as to the comparable quality of these two brands.

Thanks

Skydawggy

Re: Milgard Tuscany vs Simonton 5500

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

No question the Simonton if every thing else is equal. Price, glass grids and install quality etc.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Yes on the Simonton as well.

Make sure you are getting Low-e 366.

Where in Central Texas?

randy

#4 Post by randy »

I agree with both Skydawggy and Windows on Washington. Simonton's 5500 is a much better window, and as WoW said low-e 366 is a must for our climate.

tsanltr

#5 Post by tsanltr »

I'm in Waco. Thanks for the opinions.

roiwindowsanddoors

#6 Post by roiwindowsanddoors »

My company specializes in energy efficient windows and doors in the Central Texas area. We sell Simonton windows, however, we sell a higher volume of Milgard. This is mostly driven by the customer due to a couple of things: the warranty for Milgard is a true lifetime warranty. That means for life, with no prorating and no limitations, including labor for service for life, not just one or two years. There are more style options for Milgard for aesthetic looks, contemporary, traditional, etc. The most important thing to us however, is the installation. You are opening up the walls of your most valuable asset. Make sure you understand how the installation is performed. We typically do 'retrofit' on brick, stucco or rock homes so we don't damage the vapor barrier.

Windows on Washington

#7 Post by Windows on Washington »

As someone who has installed Milgard windows, the benefit of their lifetime warrnty is highly suspect. Their factory service reps have cost me dearly on jobs where they claimed one problem and there was zero factual evidence to support their claim. Most are not former installers and have an incomplete knowledge of window installations at best.

roiwindowsanddoors

#8 Post by roiwindowsanddoors »

I appreciate that there sometimes are varied experiences with manufacturers. We fought hard to get Milgard here in Texas to use for our company because of our positive experience. I am fairly unbiased, because I do not carry any one brand exclusively, but I am very tough about who I will sell. My manufacturers have to make ME look good (the customer holds the person they write the check to accountable). Milgard is one of my personal favorites, and I just give the facts to my customers as far as my experience. We have been blessed to have VERY knowledgeable sales reps and service techs. I have never had a problem with them when there was a service issue. I can't remember a single time they have denied a service claim or even questioned it for that matter. That is very unique, as I'm sure most window companies will agree. Maybe they just saved the best for Texas!

For whatever it is worth, we only do windows and doors, no roofing, siding, remodels so we focus all of our knowledge and expertise to this field. If you continue to have problems with service claims and truly feel it falls under their warranty, I would definitely escalate it within Milgard.

Windows on Washington

#9 Post by Windows on Washington »

My stuff was shipped out of Chicago and we are in a location of the country that is definitely at the end of Milgard's coverage.

I think that had a lot to do our experiences.

utoo

#10 Post by utoo »

I do not find anything suspect about Milgards lifetime warranty. Last month I sent a service request to the Tualatin factory about a failed unit on a window I installed in 1995. It was replaced by factory service techs within 10 days. No questions asked.

I am curious to know if other owner/installers on this forum have had a similar experience on an even older failed unit. I am not talking about manufacturers who simply ship the new unit to the dealer or customer and let someone else do the installation.

randy

#11 Post by randy »

I am not talking about manufacturers who simply ship the new unit to the dealer or customer and let someone else do the installation.
If you're located near a Milgard plant, they have their own service techs that will take care of warranty issues. However, here in Texas, they do not have their own people and the dealer has to take care of service. At least that's the way it was when I was involved with Milgard a few years back.

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

utoo wrote:I do not find anything suspect about Milgards lifetime warranty. Last month I sent a service request to the Tualatin factory about a failed unit on a window I installed in 1995. It was replaced by factory service techs within 10 days. No questions asked.

I am curious to know if other owner/installers on this forum have had a similar experience on an even older failed unit. I am not talking about manufacturers who simply ship the new unit to the dealer or customer and let someone else do the installation.
I think this has a lot to do with proximity as Randy mentioned.

I have had similarly good warranty service from Alside on some failed sashes, however, I am not running to use their product either.