$400 a window...is this wishful thinking?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
amymac

$400 a window...is this wishful thinking?

#1 Post by amymac »

okay, went all out over the summer and ALMOST bought schucco windows...but then decided I couldn't afford them. I'm looking to replace 11 windows and have come up with a budget of about $400/window (installed).

Any advice?

Mass. window guy

#2 Post by Mass. window guy »

yo can replace a window easily for $400 an opening, but you won't get a Newpro triple pane.
You can get a very good window for $400 that will have a u-value around .30 in a well constructed unit.
Where do you live?

wayside

#3 Post by wayside »

I got a blind quote from a company named Windows America in Hanover, MA (blind meaning they didn't come out to the house to look at the job) that I saw at the recent Home Show in Boston.

For 23 double-hung windows of something called "The American Classic Series" (don't know who makes it - welded frame and sash, foam-filled, double pane, double coating of low e (an alleged 0.26 U), a "no questions asked" lifetime guarantee, and a "price guarantee"), they quoted me $268/window, which included permits, taxes, and hauling away the old windows and storms.

Sadly, they only gave us until 5:00 PM that day to decide, and we just couldn't make up our minds in time. :)

So yes, it is possible to get windows for $400/window or less. Whether you want these windows, or to deal with a company that operates like this, is up to you.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

wayside wrote:
Sadly, they only gave us until 5:00 PM that day to decide, and we just couldn't make up our minds in time. :)
So what happened at 5pm that they wouldn't sell you the windows for that price the next day?
Was it a "going out of business sale"?

Mass. window guy

#5 Post by Mass. window guy »

I am very familiar with Windows America- !st of all I would ask to see proof of a u-.26 window that uses double pane glass. To my knowledge, a double pane, low-e, with argon and super spacer will bring to approx. .30 on my windows. I don't think krypton will bring it down to a .26.
I also would seriously discount any company that gives you until 5:00 to make a decision.

wayside

#6 Post by wayside »

> So what happened at 5pm that they wouldn't sell you the windows for that price the next day?

I don't know, maybe the guy turning into a pumpkin. I react negatively to a hard sell of the "this price only good for today" variety, regardless of what the product is.

He did call back a few days later, saying he could probably give us a better price if that was the issue. We said we'd think about it. :roll

> I also would seriously discount any company that gives you until 5:00 to make a decision.

I seriously discount any company that is willing to quote a price without seeing the job site, or at least getting much more information. In this case, the house is a triple-decker (3+ stories), and one side is very near a fence which would get in the way of a ladder. Maybe the whole thing could be done from inside, but without seeing it, who knows? The windows are all very old double hung with ropes and weights (which all work - fixed them myself, I'm so proud 8) ), and nothing was mentioned about insulating the pockets or removing the weights or replacing the stops (I would imagine the new window would be a different thickness than the old) or anything. He didn't even ask for sizes. Their web site also doesn't say who makes the windows.

So while the price sounds nice, it's hard to take it seriously.

amymac

#7 Post by amymac »

thanks, happy to know it's possible. It does seem like most of the companies i've dealt with (Newpro, Schucco...etc.) use the high pressure sales pitch and I hate that!

I live in Pembroke, MA...

I'm wondering about maybe asking Champion windows for a quote and also calling a co. called "American Home Improvement (I had them install gutters).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a ton for the feedback :D

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

amymac wrote: It does seem like most of the companies i've dealt with (Newpro, Schucco...etc.) use the high pressure sales pitch and I hate that!

Schuco does not use high pressure sales tactics. They are a manufacturer only. The independant contractor who came to your home is the one who uses high pressure tactics.

There are window dealers on this board who sell Schuco such as FenEx and myself that are about as far from high pressure as you can get.

----

bostonlou

#9 Post by bostonlou »

amymac wrote:thanks, happy to know it's possible. It does seem like most of the companies i've dealt with (Newpro, Schucco...etc.) use the high pressure sales pitch and I hate that!

I live in Pembroke, MA...

I'm wondering about maybe asking Champion windows for a quote and also calling a co. called "American Home Improvement (I had them install gutters).

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a ton for the feedback :D
amymac

what did you end up doing?

I'm in Franklin, MA and am about to jump into the process

this site helps but it's so much info

help from anyone is appreciated!

FenEx

#10 Post by FenEx »

Yes... it's true, Window4U and I don't use high pressure sales tactics... half the time our guns aren't even loaded.