Replacing 50 year old metal casements!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
scf1270

Replacing 50 year old metal casements!

#1 Post by scf1270 »

We are looking into replacing the orginal metal casement windows in our home. We are in the Pittsburgh area and went to a home expo last week, and will prob go to another this weekend. The number of companies is unreal!
From the comments on this site it is clear that WHO installs the windows is as important as WHAT windows we choose.
Schuco is mentioned frequently on this site, but I did not see them in the phone book.
Any advice would be welcome.
Thank you!

Mass. window guy

#2 Post by Mass. window guy »

be careful with choosing contractors from the yellow pages- there are some good companies and some bad. You are really taking a leap of faith that way.
I would suggest you speak to friends or family and ask who they used.
You can also call the better business bureau for a referral.
The home shows are good also- it gives you a chance to view several windows in a short amount of time. Pick 3 or 4 companies to come out to your home. That should give you a good idea of what you like and what is in your budget.

Bill

#3 Post by Bill »

Look up SwingLine Windows in Pittsburgh; they are a well run professional company.

Tell Ken Moeslin I said hello.

Bill
Uneeda Window of NJ

scf1270

#4 Post by scf1270 »

Thanks for the fast reply.
I was just using the yellow pages to try to find a Schuco dealer in this area - my faith doesn't leap far enough to choose a contractor that way!
This site/forum is giving me a better idea of what questions to ask/things to look for at next week's home expo.

card

casements

#5 Post by card »

we are also replacing a bunch of old casements, probably with gliders, and have so far found the process almost worse than buying a car... Have talked to private contractors, vinyl people, renewal by anderson, and pella and the options are bewildering.