VPI window - anyone heard of it?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
singlepane

VPI window - anyone heard of it?

#1 Post by singlepane »

vpiwindows

A company came for an estimate and they carry VPI vinyl window made in Spokane. Can anyone comment on this product?

Skydawggy

Re: VPI window - anyone heard of it?

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

You have now posted this link 3 times. What's up with that? Did you think we might miss it?

Most of us haven't heard of every remote little window manufacturer.

singlepane

#3 Post by singlepane »

Sorry... thought maybe other window buyers would know if I asked in more than one thread because it's not well known. :( We kind of need to make a decision soon. I'll hold off my fingers then.

SuperiorW&D

#4 Post by SuperiorW&D »

I'm curious as to what company is quoting you on VPI Windows. Do tell.

randy

#5 Post by randy »

I have no first hand knowledge of VPI, however, after visiting the website, their performance numbers are average to below average. The Synergy Series double hung (test size 44 x 60) has an AL rating of .14 and a DP rating of only R30. Both numbers would be unacceptable to me.

Unfortunately, the premium vinyl window brands are just not available to you on the West Coast. Milgard and Simonton would be two options. You might also see if Anlin is sold in your area.

singlepane

#6 Post by singlepane »

Randy, for my information, could you explain what are AL and DP? The windows offered by Washington Energy Service is said to customize made to the standard WES set up with VPI. The window series quoted is "signature":

Washington Energy
“S-Series”
Solarban® 70xl Glazing
Argon
Super Spacer®

with slider/single hung UV value being .28

I don't see this series on their website. Sorry for the confusion.

singlepane

#7 Post by singlepane »

Digged more, is AL=air leakage? DP=dew point? What are the preferred numbers for both?
SuperiorW&D, do you have experience with this product?

randy

#8 Post by randy »

What are the preferred numbers for both?
Since you asked, here's my opinion of Air Leakage ratings:

.01 - .05 = excellent
.06 - .10 = good
.11 - .18 = average
.19 - .24 = below average
.25 - .30 = poor

DP is Design Pressure rating. For me, a DP50 is minimum.

It's quite common for larger contractors to rebrand a window, meaning they call it by a name that doesn't match up with the manufacturer's website. This is done to give the impression of having an exclusive product so that it's harder for the homeowner to compare pricing. They might have some optional items added as standard features to make it distinct.

Chances are, it's the Synergy window, but you might ask them for clarification.

SuperiorW&D

#9 Post by SuperiorW&D »

singlepane wrote:SuperiorW&D, do you have experience with this product?
You received a quote on VPI Windows...... could you not tell us WHO quoted you?

You've asked a lot of questions. I only asked this ONE.

singlepane

#10 Post by singlepane »

SuperiorW&D, not sure what's wrong asking questions. This is a forum for people to ask questions and for those knowledgeable to answer them right? Or is there a number of limit somebody set up that I'm not aware of. Anyways, if you read carefully, I've answered your question in my posts.

Skydawggy

#11 Post by Skydawggy »

It seems as if nobody really knows much about VPI. Best advice I can give you is to stay with a known brand of window unless the price you have is so good that you are willing to take a chance.

SuperiorW&D

#12 Post by SuperiorW&D »

singlepane wrote:SuperiorW&D, not sure what's wrong asking questions. This is a forum for people to ask questions and for those knowledgeable to answer them right? Or is there a number of limit somebody set up that I'm not aware of. Anyways, if you read carefully, I've answered your question in my posts.
What I know about VPI is that at least one of their "dealers" was sanctioned and fined by the Attorney General of Washington State. This makes me suspicious about the company and it's dealings in general. They know who their dealers are and what they do and can control their reputation.....if they care.

I had never heard of Washington Energy, I thought it was your utility company. Once you mentioned that you had already answered the question I googled them. From this search they "appear" to be a reputable company. There were a few disgruntled reviewers.

I have no first had experience with VPI, but armed with what knowledge I have and knowing that I can purchase windows from many other local manufacturers (Empire Pacific and Milgard in Tualatin, Oregon or Atrium in Yakima, WA) that don't have tainted reputations (in my mind) I would pick another brand. This may not be fair on my part, but it is my opinion.

singlepane

#13 Post by singlepane »

Thanks everybody for your advice/input/knowledge! I'm glad I found you guys here.

TerryA

#14 Post by TerryA »

I have extensive experience with V.P.I. windows, they are out of Spokane, Wa and my personal experience with them is not favorable..... I had 10 windows installed (silence series) as I live near the airport (Sea-Tac), and several were damaged, but most importantly the mitered joints at corners were cracking immediately after install, the quality overall was extremly poor, I would recommend going with a reputable company like Milgard.. VPI has issues to lengthy to go into detail, but their building in Spokane definitely needs improvement from shipping, quality control, and customer service..

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND GO WITH SOMEONE ELSE"!!!!!!!

Thanks Terry :(

TheWindowNerd

#15 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Hard to believe you dug this thread up to post. You could put it under window reviews.