Need Help Choosing Windows in NJ

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
nildip007

Need Help Choosing Windows in NJ

#1 Post by nildip007 »

I am a first time window buyer needing help in choosing a quality window company accompanied by a quality window installer. I have been researching so much and I feel like I am going in circles. I hear companies like Pella (high end who install their own windows), Andersen (don't think they install their own), Marvin (I am guessing they are only wood), Simmonton (a lot of comments on them, however, not sure who does quality install for them). After reading everything it seems that even if you buy a quality high end window if they are not installed properly they can have their seals broken or something else can go wrong. Read up on Alco Windows here and after reading many reviews it seemed that their windows and service was good initially however after 2 years their installation seems to be crappy and their seals break.

I am just looking for decent windows with a quality installation that qualify for tax credit and I won't regret in 2 or 3 years because it was done poorly. Price wise I see that it cost 600-750 for a quality window installed, not looking to spend $1000 a pop.

Any recommendations and advice.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Need Help Choosing Windows in NJ

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

My recommendations to start would be to look at Starmark, Okna, Softlite Elements or Softlite Imperial LS, Sunrise, Gorell, and Simonton. All are true sloped sill windows(very important) with good ratings and good warranties.

nildip007

#3 Post by nildip007 »

I see that Simonton does not install their windows, would you not recommend getting them and installed through Home Depot?

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

You will find them cheaper, and likely have more control over the process, from a local installation company.

thermal99

#5 Post by thermal99 »

home depot are nororious for some bad installs and high prices.

Bill

#6 Post by Bill »

You can try Simontons web site, they have a dealer locator where you can enter your zip code.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

There is alot of stuff to swim through.
Do you have a budget and goalsfor the project?
You can use a independent pro for almost all windows, especially Pella.
Vinyl are going to be the cheapest as low as $200 as high as $1000.
The first is to low the second to high, but somewhere in between.
Some mfg have dealer/installer locators.Soft-lite does.
Good luck with your project.

buddy110

#8 Post by buddy110 »

tigerfly wrote:forgot to mention some higher quality window companies.
schuco,okna,gorell,restorations by sunrise,and elements by soft lite.
Paul,
Schuco has been out of businees for three years. :roll:

canuck

#9 Post by canuck »

400 bucks for an accuWeld ! of course thats a rip off,its a low quality window. thank you for bringing attention to that. if someone pays 50 bucks for a low quality window they are still losing because invariably they are going to need to replace them in 2 years.
if you look at the top brands mentioned on this board,you will notice an installed window starts in the 500's and up depending on whether or not its double or triple pane,woodgrain interor,colored exterior, grids,simulated divided lites,and last but not least the complexity of the install.
windows take up a large portion of your home so why not use common sense and do it right. there are no short cuts and attempting to convince yourself an installed window that sells for 389.99 will last long and maintain its efficiency is utter nonsense.

Delaware Mike

#10 Post by Delaware Mike »

They will pass something onto their customers, but it won't be savings. Got to love Philly! There are so many local outfits and contractors that sell just on price up that way, then again that's all they can do. It's much harder to have a quality product and well paid installers than to be a bottom feeder. Most outfits that sell in the $189 to $400 range per window know their window isn't going to last all that long. It's strickly a numbers game. They average out how many homeowners actually are going to be in that same house five to eight years from now to have a warranty or installation service claim.

I've talked this over with folks that are in the business time and time again pertaining to the construction industry and the biggest thing I find is, "how many people actually know what a good job is?" If everyone was versed in building construction, none of these outfits would even exist.

canuck

#11 Post by canuck »

great post delaware mike..well said.