SiverLine Vs. X-act replacement windows

A place to talk about the Window Industry
F15

SiverLine Vs. X-act replacement windows

#1 Post by F15 »

Hello,
We are just starting the process of Replacing windows.
Can't decide between Silver Line 9500 and X-act 1650.
Anyone have any experience in these window lines?
Also have (1) picture window that we are struggling to go with either "New Repalcement".
Any other advice to a novice would be appreciated....

Skydawggy

Re: SiverLine Vs. X-act replacement windows

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Your first step should be to toss out anything by Silverline for consideration. I'll let others comment on X-act.

F15

#3 Post by F15 »

EcoStar Windows wrote:Your first step should be to toss out anything by Silverline for consideration. I'll let others comment on X-act.
Any thoughts on Simonton??

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Simonton makes some nice products and is pretty highly regarded. The Xact 1650 if I'm not mistaken is an MI 1650/ Certainteed bryn mwr/ Cutting Edge model. It looks halfway decent and has some nice options until you look at the performance ratinings.... I'm not the biggest proponent of the importance of AL ratings, but at .29, its terrible. Any time a window has a u-value that is numerically lower than its AL rating, that's pretty poor... Lipstick on a pig is the phrase that comes to mind.

canuck

#5 Post by canuck »

X-Act is made by MI windows and it is definitely a low quality window,i have seen it and and its your typical flimsy builders grade window. i don't care what the u-factor is,its not a premium grade vinyl. i would expand my search for something that is going to last and maintain its efficiency opposed to installing something that you will need to replace in a few years. both silverline and X-act fit that profile. premium windows that pro's on this board recommend are Okna , Gorell, and Sunrise.
this is assuming you live on the eastern seaboard.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

That particular model is their replacement/retro-fit product. It doesn't have the same flimsy appearance and feel of their other lines. They even put some decent features and options into it. It takes a discerning eye and a look at the numbers to see that it is nothing more than a polished turd.

canuck

#7 Post by canuck »

exactly. i've seen the corner cut ont he xact and its another low quality product.