Certainteed/Viwinco Windows Poor Quality and Warranty

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
jdog

Certainteed/Viwinco Windows Poor Quality and Warranty

#1 Post by jdog »

I had 16 Certainteed windows installed in 2001. Soon after 8 sashes seals failed and the windows clouded. They sent new ones. Then three more went. They sent new sashes for me to install. Then I had 5 more fail. Now they won;t replace them, just send me the glass. I got a bad cut. They told me the "lifetime" warranty said only 5 years parts and Labor (even though I did the original myself). Basically they said "too bad". Filed a complaint with the BBB. Buyer beware. Don't buy Certainteed. They will fail and you will be out of luck.

HomeSealed

Re: Certainteed/Viwinco Windows Poor Quality and Warranty

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

It is very common for manufacturers to have only a few years of coverage on the labor of a lifetime warranty window. This is one reason to go ahead and have your windows installed by a professional company who picks up the labor portion after the manufacturer no longer covers it... I don't think that product is a world beater or anything, but i don't see how they've done anything wrong here. They've done exactly what they said that they would per their warranty.

canuck

#3 Post by canuck »

ViWinco now make the certianteed window. i will say i was NEVER a fan of certainteed windows at all. they were average at best; typical window you find in a building supply house.

SuperiorW&D

#4 Post by SuperiorW&D »

jdog wrote:I had 16 Certainteed windows installed in 2001. Soon after 8 sashes seals failed and the windows clouded. They sent new ones. Then three more went. They sent new sashes for me to install. Then I had 5 more fail. Now they won;t replace them, just send me the glass. I got a bad cut. They told me the "lifetime" warranty said only 5 years parts and Labor (even though I did the original myself). Basically they said "too bad". Filed a complaint with the BBB. Buyer beware. Don't buy Certainteed. They will fail and you will be out of luck.
You don't say where you are located. What state are you in?

I am a dealer on the west coast that has been selling Insulate Windows that became CertainTeed Windows that became Ply Gem Windows for roughly 20 years.....and the warranty that CertainTeed offered to our customers in 2001 had no limitations on labor as long as you were the original purchaser. The 5 year limitation on labor was for 2nd homeowners that had the warranty transferred to them.

MAYBE they THINK you are not the ORIGINAL purchaser? I would not be quiet. Fight it.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

SuperiorW&D wrote:
jdog wrote:I had 16 Certainteed windows installed in 2001. Soon after 8 sashes seals failed and the windows clouded. They sent new ones. Then three more went. They sent new sashes for me to install. Then I had 5 more fail. Now they won;t replace them, just send me the glass. I got a bad cut. They told me the "lifetime" warranty said only 5 years parts and Labor (even though I did the original myself). Basically they said "too bad". Filed a complaint with the BBB. Buyer beware. Don't buy Certainteed. They will fail and you will be out of luck.
You don't say where you are located. What state are you in?

I am a dealer on the west coast that has been selling Insulate Windows that became CertainTeed Windows that became Ply Gem Windows for roughly 20 years.....and the warranty that CertainTeed offered to our customers in 2001 had no limitations on labor as long as you were the original purchaser. The 5 year limitation on labor was for 2nd homeowners that had the warranty transferred to them.

MAYBE they THINK you are not the ORIGINAL purchaser? I would not be quiet. Fight it.
That probably depends on who actually made his windows. I know the certainteed bryn mawr is made by MI, in addition to your connection of Insulate/PlyGem, and canuck's of ViWinco. I'd imagine they all have different warranties. It would be nice if the company who's name was on the product actually made it. :mrgreen:

Door&WindowPlus

#6 Post by Door&WindowPlus »

Certainteed was sold to MI in the Midwest/East Coast area and Plygem on the West Cost area. Ply Gem warranty is the same as Certainteed which is lifetime warranty with labor 1st owner. There is no glass breakage through Ply Gem. Tranfereable only 5 years.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

D&WP, Is that only for the Plygem "west coast" warranty? If not, that is incorrect. I can't speak for other regions, but PlyGem only covers labor for two years here (WI)...This is based on the warranty brochures that we receive and distribute with every order. Also, PlyGem DOES warranty glass breakage for two years.... I wasn't aware of the east coast/west coast split of Certainteed though, thanks for the info... The warranty difference could very well be regional as my brochures specify "EAST"..... So do you have any idea where ViWinco comes into the picture?.. or was that bunk info?

canuck

#8 Post by canuck »

ViWinco actually made the certianteed window on the east coast. its not held in high regard.
although certainteed sold the window rights to MI,ViWinco still make their own window which is very similar to the old Bryn mar.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

Got it

warrantyservice

#10 Post by warrantyservice »

Ok this is per the Certainteed Warranty for 2001

SureStart Protection
Certainteed windows and doors are also covered by "SureStart" protection for a period of five (5) years following the date installation has been completed. Under this warranty feature, Certainteed, at no charge will repair or replace, at it's option, any window or door proven to be defective during the five (5) year SureStart period.

Certainteed's maximum liability under SureStart will be equal to the reasonable cost to repair or replace the defective product at current value, including labor in connection with the repair or removal of the original product or installation of the replacement product.

So as you can see after the five years, there was at that time Labor Charges. I'm not familiar with their current warranty, but then we are not talking about any new warranty.