Andersen versus Schuco sliding glass doors?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rjacob

Andersen versus Schuco sliding glass doors?

#1 Post by rjacob »

I want to replace my four sliding glass doors (30 year old Peachtree's - they leak air between the panels like a sieve). I like Andersen, but the guy from the NY Energy Smart program is pitching Schuco. I have done some searches and read a lot of good things about Schuco windows.

I love the look and quality of the Andersen French Wood Gliders. The natural wood would go well in our house. I like the idea of the energy savings of the Schuco’s with the triple pane-kypton filled glass package. I am leary about the vinyl frame of the Schucos and how long they will last. I like that I can call Andersen and get parts for my 30 year old Andersen windows. Could I do that with Schuco? What would be cool is if I could get the Schuco glass package in the Andersen door. I have more research to do. I am thinking about calling Andersen and asking them about Schuco, and calling Schuco and asking them about Andersen. The consultant guy gave me a price of $8200 for the four Schuco doors installed. The price I have for the Andersens (at Home Depot) is $1172 each plus $449 installation (next three doors would be a little cheaper), but this works out to about $6484 installed. I might be able to get the guy to come down on the Schucos. He was going to give info on where I can go see some Schuco doors. I am definately not plunking down $8000 without actually seeing what I will be getting first.

FenEx

#2 Post by FenEx »

Hello rjacob

As I was out in NY for two years, I am very familiar with the NYSERDA program and also many Schuco dealers. I'm curious about which dealer got involved with the state program. Thanks.

rjacob

Schuco Dealer

#3 Post by rjacob »

The place that I did my audit through is named KA Environmental Systems. The consultant is from CB Consultants. From what the consultant is saying is that the NY Energy Smart program recommends either Alside or Schuco as these two brands are the only ones that meet the criteria they set. I visited the local Alside distributor, and they looked cheap (and the simulated wood grain was extremely fake looking). But then I only saw one model of door. The consultant guy said they recommend the Schuco. I still haven't seen a Schuco door in person.

FenEx

#4 Post by FenEx »

Thanks for the response rjacob

The Alside models are the low to midrange solutions, with the exception of the Preservation series which is a great performer but can be pricey depending on the dealers, as can Schuco. They are however, not the only ones that will meet the NYSERDA criteria to improve energy efficiency. If your auditor found the windows to be the weakest link in your home, you may wish to consider these optimal performance products if they are within your price range.

rjacob

Doors

#5 Post by rjacob »

He recommended replacing all the windows, but frankly it wouldn't be cost effective to do it. The payback would be too high. I have Andersen Windows, Velux skylights, and Peachtree Sliding Glass Doors. The 30 year old Peachtrees are in poor shape, and leak alot between the panels. And one door has some rot on it. I want to replace these. The Andersen windows are in pretty good shape. They leak, but I ordered new weatherstripping from Andersen for all of them at a cost of only $86. I haven't considered the skylights yet.

I can afford the Schuco doors. That is not the issue. What I want to know is how sturdy are they? Anybody have the Schuco sliding glass doors? HOw long can I expect them to last? I have heard vinyl just doesn't have as long of life span as wood (if it is taken care of). Anybody here have 30 year old Schuco sliding glass doors? Can you still get parts after 30 years? Thats something I like about Andersen. The doors are simple but solid construction, and I can get parts for my 30 year windows.

harpo

#6 Post by harpo »

Schuco has only been in the USA since 1998 so I don't think you will find any 30 year old patio doors out there, but if you use that as a criteria on other purchases like cars, you would pick a chevy over a lexus!

Take a look at the warranty of each product. The Schuco is much stronger. Also, if there is a problem with the Anderson from home depot who stands behind the labor costs? Read the fine print of the product and labor warranty and see who stands behind the product the best. Most Schuco dealers have a lengthy service and worksmanship warranty.

Have you compared U values? 4 patio doors make up alot of surface area and could effect total comfort in your home, not just the utility bill.

good luck with your project

rjacob

Chevy or a Lexus...

#7 Post by rjacob »

I would choose a Honda which is what I drive. I like Hondas because they last a long time if properlly maintained. Chevys just wear out too fast. I hope to get about a 500,000 miles out of my current Civic. A well maintain Lexus might last too, but a Honda gives more bang for the buck.
I want a door that will last a long time. I don't want to spend $8000 for doors only to have them falling apart in 10 to 20 years.
Yes I have compared U-Values. The Schuco has much better insulating value. But I also have to consider the value of my house. The Alside doors have U factors similar to the Schuco, but the door I saw looked like crap. The Andersen doors would improve the look and feel of my house, where the Alside might make the house warmer, but would not improve the value of my house. I have not seen a Schuco door so I can't comment on it's appearance. What good is a Ufactor if a door doesnt last? If Schuco has only been in the US since 1998, how to I know their doors will last? What is their track record? I have read that vinyl doors sag, or wear out faster than wooden doors. As I said, I have 30 year old Andersen windows in my house, and they are still going good. I am going to replace a few cranks, and all the weather stripping, but I can get these things from Andersen even though my windows are 30 years old.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

Re: Chevy or a Lexus...

#8 Post by Window4U (IL) »

rjacob wrote: If Schuco has only been in the US since 1998, how to I know their doors will last? What is their track record?
Schuco has been building windows for over 50 years and are in 63 countries worldwide.
Over 2 billion in annual sales and growing.
#1 window in the rest of the world.
TPS glazing is superior to all in longevity, performance, and gas retention.
Considered the best vinyl window made by many.

rjacob

Re: Chevy or a Lexus...

#9 Post by rjacob »

Window4U (IL) wrote:
rjacob wrote: TPS glazing is superior to all in longevity, performance, and gas retention.
I understand the the glass package is great. I don't dispute that. But the glass package has to go into something. I want to know about the quality of the rest of the door. I don't care about Schuco windows. I am only interested in the sliding glass doors.
Then does anyone here have a Schuco sliding glass door from 1998? Or does anyone on here from outside of the US have a Schuco door older than 1998?

rjacob

Price?

#10 Post by rjacob »

Whats a reasonable price for a standard size (6' wide) Schuco sliding glass door with the triple pane krypton filled glass package, plus installation?