Help in CT!

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
cthomeowner

Help in CT!

#1 Post by cthomeowner »

I want to replace 15 windows (including one bay) and one patio door in my home in South Windsor, CT. But every window salesman who comes out has a different story and I am afraid they are all lying! I have gotten quotes ranging from 5k (Alside Excalibur) - 15k (HR40). I don't want top of the line, but I don't want crappy windows either. The house has original single pane wood windows that are awful - very drafty and several don't even work properly anymore. So pretty much anything would be a step up, but I don't want to have to redo it again in 5 years. And of course I want to qualify for the tax credit. Any suggestions? What is a good mid-grade window? How does Harvey Classic (7k quote) compare to Alside Excalibur? Who is a reputable dealer? And what is the deal with those super expensive HR40 windows?? Thanks for any help!

Skydawggy

Re: Help in CT!

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

What is an HR40 window? What do you consider expensive?

cthomeowner

#3 Post by cthomeowner »

The HR40 is sold by Peoples Products - it is the heat mirror window. That salesman quoted me 16k for the job if I signed up immediately, but over 23k after that night. I hate that high pressure sales pitch - that makes me rule them out. And that price seems ridiculous when I had quotes for 5k and 7k for the same job.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

I would rule out the Alside Excalibur. I'm not familiar with the Harvey Classic but some of the Pros one here seem to like it. I would suggest looking at a few more windows so you can get a feel for pricing. Never a good idea to buy windows based on a low price.

buddy110

#5 Post by buddy110 »

I love Heat mirror, but I hate that tactic. It's pure bull dinky. If it's HM it's more than likely Serious windows (the old kensington line)

Look at Okna, and Sunrise.
Harvey is an "ok", mid grade window, I wouldn't recommend Alside