Simonton Prism Bronze-ComfortWorld 4000-CertainTeed Devon

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
skidsareforkids

Simonton Prism Bronze-ComfortWorld 4000-CertainTeed Devon

#1 Post by skidsareforkids »

I am looking at having 14 DH window's replaced in a 75 year old home. I have gotten 5 qoutes and the winning bids right now are the following three windows and there prices. I'd like to know if there is one that's a standout or one that should be an immediate dismissal. Right now I am leaning towards the Simonton due to the way the salesman presented himself and his companies history.

CertainTeed Devon $5390

Simonton Prism Bronze $5280

ComfortWorld 4000 (Alside Excalibur) $4180

I'd be interested to hear the opinion of any installers or someone who has one of these three windows.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The Simonton would be my choice out of the choices you have given. I have installed a couple jobs of them, and except for the too narrow sloppy top sashes, they weren't too bad.

Just in case you are not aware, all 3 are at the bottom end of the price and quality spectrum in each company's line. I just thought I'd make you aware of that fact in case you might want to spend a couple extra dollars and upgrade slightly.

harpo

#3 Post by harpo »

Skids--When you say the "winning bids are", do you mean the lowest bids are......? Keep in mind that windows are not a throwaway purchase. A couple extra bucks now might save you a lifetime of frustration down the road. $4180 is about 300 bucks per window. After you subtract install costs, dealer overhead, insurance, workmans comp, equipment costs, etc., that really doesn't leave much for the actual cost of the window.

What were the other two quotes? You said you got 5 but only listed three in your post. Did you not list the other two becouse of price? In the long run, the higher bids might be the lowest cost to you. Did you get warranty information? Who's doing the install, subs or employees? Service warranty?

skidsareforkids

#4 Post by skidsareforkids »

No, the lowest bid ($4176) was from a company that is struggling right now as it's very small (2 brothers) and I'm not sure he'll be here in a year to honor his warranty. The highest bid ($6000) was from a company that I had to explain window terms to the salesgirl. If your sales people don't know common terms then I'm gonna wonder about your installers knowledge. All the companies have labor warranty's the one I'm currently thinking about going with is 5 yrs and then it rolls into Simonton's pro rated lifetime warranty. The company doing the Simonton's is locally owned but growing and very stable. The third compnay is WindowWorld it seems there's enough info out here not to have to explain them.