Replacement window in shower

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Nicky

Replacement window in shower

#1 Post by Nicky »

I'm havig my shower retiled and there's an old wood-framed window inside the shower. The tiles are being replaced because moisture (presumably from the window sill) got behind the tile walls. I'm thinking that I should replace the window before tiling, but can't seem to find replacement windows specific to shower interiors. I'd like to be able to use a glass block style for privacy, althoug it's a typical casement window. Does anyone have any recommendations?

harpo

#2 Post by harpo »

Try Hy-lite products at hy-lite.com. they make and acrylic window that looks like glass blocks. It comes in assorted colors and finishes. Good quality product and I think it would suit your shower area perfectly. Hy-lite does come in casement style windows.

by the way, your old tile failed and you are replacing with tile again?? See if there is a luxury bath dealer in your area. Acrylic walls that look great. Many color options and you don't have to worry about grout, leaks, etc. again.

Harpo

Tru_blue

Re: Replacement window in shower

#3 Post by Tru_blue »

Many replacement windows are made to go into the existing wood window frame. In your case, if water is already getting in through the sill or frame, make sure to replace those as well. Your main non-wood choices are glass block, vinyl, or fiberglass windows. I'd recommend one of those set up as a full new-construction window, not a replacement that fits into the existing old frame. That way there would be no wood to get wet, it could be properly sealed and insulated around the perimeter, and you could tile up to the non-wood window frame so if water were to sit on the interior "sill," it would actually be sitting on the tile (or a marble sill or whatever you put there). If you do not go the glass block route, it would be nice to get triple glazed for the extra condensation resistance, and code requires that windows in a shower have saftey glass instead of regular annealed glass. You may wish to get obscure privacy glass as well.

Nicky

#4 Post by Nicky »

Thanks for your input. I plan on replacing the existing wood frame as well. Do you have opinions about Sorrento Vinyl Acrylic Glass Block Windows http://1stwindows.com/members/sorrento/glass_block.htm?