MI Windows victim

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
Alpinist909

MI Windows victim

#1 Post by Alpinist909 »

My house has MI Windows. 8 windows have failed so far. Condensation varying from fogging to large water droppets. I am expecting more failures.
House is 7 years old. :shock:

The warranty only covers the windows if you are the original owner. I have to replace the windows myself and the shipping for each window is $25. I can do this BUT I am the 2nd owner. Too bad for me. The cost would be substantially higher. From what I have read on the internet lately, I should expect more. So why buy their windows to have them fail AGAIN? I would need a subsription from MI Windows and Doors. :evil:

I was a builder 5 years ago. I have NEVER seen a failure rate so high in a window.

Most good manufacturers have a warranty and many have a 10-20 year warranty. But I have never seen such a high failure rate. I contacted MI Windows about it. They said this is normal.
I have been out of the construction business for a while. Companies are bought and sold like baseball cards use to be. Any suggestions on brands of replacement windows that are of better quailty? Looking for gas filled, vinyl, double glazed, single hung.

Thanks

Skydawggy

Re: MI Windows victim

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Looks like NJryder is back again.

ranger

#3 Post by ranger »

Xact and certainteed windows are made by MI Windows. i was a victim of Xact windows as well and i feel yor pain. DO NOT waste your money on any more of those windows. i know it hurts but you need to get a legitimate contractor in your home to install quality. Xact is not quality and i was burned bad by getting suckered into using them.

Alpinist909

#4 Post by Alpinist909 »

rangemaster wrote:If I were you, I would look at CertainTeed or Xact brand windows. They have the best warranty in the business and are extremely well made.

If you were a decent contractor you can install them yourself but it seems you don't know so much about window installation so perhaps you should pay for a subscription to Angie'sList and find a contractor who can install good quality windows like CertainTeed or Xacts for you.
I was a decent contractor. I use to build new homes.
I bought this 6 year home last year when I took a job as a lineman trainee for a local power company. Working 48 to 80+ hours a week does not leave me much time for DIY projects.

I was looking for recommendations on replacement window brands that others have had good with recently.

CertainTeed and MI Windows are one in the same, Mr smarty pants! Geeze

Delaware Mike

#5 Post by Delaware Mike »

Just like a "bad penny" he always seems to turn up. Fountain of misinformation. Lots of internet tough guys out there that would be the first to dial 911 with urine running down their legs if ever confronted in real life. Please excuse this clown for insulting you. His days are numbered.

Some of the Plygem products seems to readily available for contractor purchase in addition to Simonton and PGT. These products are all available in the mid-Atlantic at the better supply houses. Several local contractors in my area are using the Paradigm line are really like them? I've never installed them so possibly there are comparing them to brands like Viwinco and Certinteed.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

Alpinist909, on behalf of the professionals who frequent this board, I apologize for the crude language of "rangemaster". He's not a professional in the trade, he's a 45 year old loser who lives and works out of his mother's basement. His own mother can't stand him, and wants him out. We wish she'd take his computer away.

Obviously the brands he recommends are crap. Look for Gorell, Soft-lite, Okna, Simonton, Sunrise.

jeff1995

#7 Post by jeff1995 »

Are you in the Inland Empire area?