advice on overseeing Home Depot's installation of windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
david love

advice on overseeing Home Depot's installation of windows

#1 Post by david love »

I am in the process of purchasing the 6500 series vinyl replacement windows from Home Depot and I read the reponse from an expert that said a window was only as good as the installation. The installation will be done by the Home Depot, but to improve my chances for quality work, I was hoping someone could advise me on things I should look for in the installation process. The foreman of the job recently came over and he seemed to be pretty on the ball, but that only tells you so much. Is there anything I can ask for up front that will ensure good craft or is there something that I should be on the guard for. Any advice welcome. Thanks.

windowrep

#2 Post by windowrep »

all locks should be on the interior of the house. just kidding good luck. i am sure you have gone to at least two of the installers previous jobs and looked them over and talked to that client to make sure they too were satisfied.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#3 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

If I understand this correctly, you have visited the window disscussion boards who on the most part advised you to keep shopping after your HD quote but you chose not too. Now your asking for advice on what to look out for..............I just guessing but maybe your next post well be how do I know if it was done properly and after that how do I get them to fix whatever. If you did your homework and checked on the installers who are going to do your job and your dealing with a HD who has been at this a while your probably in good hands. I know the local HD who are in the infant stages of their install program aren't fit for the public yet. I can't imagine anyone but an HD agent who would reccomend them.

Scott1q1

HD install

#4 Post by Scott1q1 »

Actually Home depot pays their subs very well in my area, and it lets them be a little choosy about their help. It also makes me as an installer feel like I can spend the time I need to be happy with the completed job.

Thats not to say I don't hurry, all installers need to move right along to keep everyone happy, but everything will be insulated, wrapped trimmed and caulked sharply and operating properly.

I started subbing for them a few months ago and have been impressed. They are not shy about letting people who are sloppy go, and in the admittedly very short time I have worked for them they have done whatever it takes to make every customer happy(sounds like a sales pitch lol).

Its kind of interesting..they do seem to make a few more mistakes than smaller companies I've worked with, but they will literally spare no expense to make sure the customer gets what they pay for and are happy.

They also have paid me to go fix things from jobs done years ago that I would not consider warranty work, I started to share some funny examples but I don't want to give people any ideas or get myself in trouble!

Its a great idea to go look at some jobs they have done similar to yours, amazing how few people will take the time to do that considering the amount of money involved.

I wouldn't think you need to take any special precautions to get a good job, and if you ever happen to have a problem in the future I bet HD will still be around.