What brand would you suggest for SAN DIEGO sliding windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Danimal67

What brand would you suggest for SAN DIEGO sliding windows?

#1 Post by Danimal67 »

(Sorry I posted in wrong category)

Hi folks,

I live in San Diego, so the weather is not too extreme.
I'm researching the various local companies and I'm more confused than when I started.

I started on Jeld-Wen: they seem to get mold inside?
Anderson: seem over-priced and didn't carry sliding, only hung?
Millgard: many folks had bad experience with air leaks/warp.
"The Window Factory": make their own here in SD, but lots of customers unhappy in their postings.
Marvin: Who's Marvin?
Atrium: tons of bad reviews.
Simonton... not available out here?
Marvin & Pella... good JD Powers rating, but some folks like Jeld Wen better.. which takes me back to square one.

I just want a nice sliding window that doesn't leak or crack or break seals & lose gas. Double Pane, maybe glazed and with the hi-tech spacers that don't conduct cold. (TPS, Super spacer etc)

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Dan

Skydawggy

Re: What brand would you suggest for SAN DIEGO sliding windows?

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

Simonton should be available to you. Go to their website and use the dealer locator feature. Other brands worth considering are Amerimax and Anlin.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

You are all over the place with your window selections.The Marvin and Anderson are wood windows and will be in a higher price bracket and typically are installed as a full frame replacement.The vinyl windows will be alot cheaper,can be installed as inserts.If you give more details on what your looking for such as wood, vinyl, exterior color,interior color ect. it will make it easier to give reccomendations as these factors will limit your options.Your budget will also make a difference as all of the brands have different grades of windows.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

Out of that group the only one that doesn't make a vinyl window is Marvin. I doubt the OP has actually looked at any windows. Just read online reviews.

Danimal67

#5 Post by Danimal67 »

Hi guys, thanks for the response so far.
Yes, I am indeed all over the place because there are so many good/bad reviews on different products. That's why i'm trying to narrow it down to the ones that suck the least.
:lol:
I actually have only looked at 3 windows & patio door brands so far, all at Home Depot.
Anderson, Jeld-Wen, and that new one they carry (Craft... something?)
Didn't get any quotes yet, they were bizzy, just wanted to check them out as a starting point.
I thought Andersons did vinyl replacement? I like their 400 series maple patio door, but i noticed it didn't open/close very easy.. prolly the demo there isn't in good shape? Any comments on that?

Todd, my budget is around $5k for a patio door, and five windows, each about 4' square. I *think* i want vinyl replacements, as i don't see a reason to do otherwise. White is fine for color, except for the patio door, where the wood is preferred, but not mandatory.

A construction friend of mine suggested Mill-Gard, said he's installed them before and they seem like fine windows. Any comments on Millgard?

As for Simonton, you are right, thanks, i didn't see the "where to buy" link there. Funny, the 1st option that pops up IS home depot!
They offer the following:
6200 by Simonton
6400 by Simonton
6500 by Simonton
ClearValue by Simonton

Other local dealers offer these:
Simonton DaylightMax (7300)
Simonton Madeira (7500)
Verona by Simonton

Any comments on these options?
Thanks for the time guys!
Dan

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

I am not familiar with Milgard nor am I familiar with the series of Simonton windows you listed.The Simontons I use go by Bronze,Ultra Gold and Prism Platinum,they also offer A couple of builder and contractor series windows that are a bit lower in qulality.Anderson does sell vinyl windows through a company they own which is Silverline.You will not find any love for silverline on this forum.I would stay away from the Pella vinyl and at least the cheaper Jeld-Wens sold through Menard's and such.I would try some to find a company that specializes in windows other than the big box stores.I would also try looking at the actual windows in person before buying as well.pella seems to make a decent wood door as does Marvin,but if you have the time look at these in person as well.You can do a search for recommend windows with the search function at the top of the page.The 2 most recommend windows are the upper offerings from Gorell and Soft-Lite then come a who;e bunch of others such as Simonton,Sunrise,Ply-Gem,PGT,Milgard and of course all the other names rebranded by some of these companies.Take your time find a good window and installer.keep updating the board and you will usually find the help you need.

Danimal67

#7 Post by Danimal67 »

Went to Dixieline and tested some of their windows. I really like the latches on the Milgard Tuscany series, and they glide the smoothest of any I've tried so far. Next week I plan to test drive the local Simontons from a dealer and see how they compare.

My quote so far is $1500 for the 5 dual-pane windows with the SuncoatMax/edgegardMax package. UF is 0.30
Sizes:
40x46
70x46
70x46 with grid
46x46
46x46

Seem reasonable?

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

That seems like a great price without even knowing the details of the install,do you know what the details of the install are? Cost on these windows should be over $200 each,add materials, permit and labor and there is not much room for mark-up or f-up.

Danimal67

#9 Post by Danimal67 »

That's just the windows, no install or parts or permits.
Installation is gonna be by a friend in the business.

toddinmn

#10 Post by toddinmn »

The price seems fair, but I am not familiar with the Milgard window or there pricing.Your friend in the business should know the answer.You may want to look at there option list,a lot of companies do not charge a lot for some worthwhile upgrades such as double strength glass,reinforcement bars,extruded screens,full screens,upgraded low-e,upgraded spacers,triple pane glass ,ect.

SunnySD

#11 Post by SunnySD »

Danimal67 wrote:Went to Dixieline and tested some of their windows. I really like the latches on the Milgard Tuscany series, and they glide the smoothest of any I've tried so far. Next week I plan to test drive the local Simontons from a dealer and see how they compare.

My quote so far is $1500 for the 5 dual-pane windows with the SuncoatMax/edgegardMax package. UF is 0.30
Sizes:
40x46
70x46
70x46 with grid
46x46
46x46

Seem reasonable?
Yes, that's an awesome quote. I received six quotes and they are all around $2000 installed in the San Diego area for two Milgard Tuscany vinyl windows (106"x58" and 82"x58"). You're lucky. Where did you end up buying your windows?