Can I convert replacement windows to nail-on?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
malibunat

Can I convert replacement windows to nail-on?

#1 Post by malibunat »

Hi,
So I am in a bit of a predicament. I recently had new windows installed in my condo. They are Milgard replacement series z-bar style. When I asked my HOA manager what types of windows were allowed, they stated that they must be white, vinyl, and Milgard. After talking to several local contractors, all recommended replacement series as our condo was not very old and the frames were in good condition. Plus the exterior is stucco and would require extensive work for new construction style windows. Since the HOA didn't specify installation type to me, I foolishly thought this would be okay. So now I have beautiful new replacement windows installed and the HOA wants me to re-do them in new construction installation method.
Is there any way to convert these new windows into a nail-on type installation? Or am I screwed and have to fork out thousands for all new windows again and more expensive installation?
Thanks in advance for your advice!

DansWindow

Re: Can I convert replacement windows to nail-on?

#2 Post by DansWindow »

I think I'd be going over the HOA agreement with a fine tooth comb and then an attorney. Unless your windows are way different than the other condos I would think it is a good install. What is their logical reasoning for only using a new construction installation?

malibunat

#3 Post by malibunat »

I went through the CC&R's of my association and the section on window replacements says "Contact the association manager for the specifications." Which I did and she gave me verbally. Foolishly I should have gotten this in writing as she omitted the installation part from the conversation we had. The association claims they only allow new construction because of the risk of water leakage. When I told the contractor who installed my windows this he said the risk of leakage is really low, but slightly higher than new construction. These replacement windows look identical to the same model new construction type. Anyways, the board doesn't seem to care, hence me looking into the possibility of conversion...

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

Depending on the manufacturer, "snap-in" nailing fin may be offered. That being said, I would closely review any written regulations. In my experience, the only thing that a condo board typically has control over is the exterior appearance. Installation method and interior apperance are none of their concern as long as the exterior meets the specifications. In addition, a "replacement style" installation is no more likely to have leakage issues than new construction style... In fact, replacement style preserves the existing water management system when done properly, whereas a new construction style would replace it.

shamu

#5 Post by shamu »

You may want to contact Milgard. I believe that a Z-bar application is specifically designed for a stucco exterior and may in fact be a better way to install in your case. As Homesealed stated it would preserve the original water management system. HOA's are not always well informed and seem to try to want to control appearance over practicality.

malibunat

#6 Post by malibunat »

I am meeting with the board president tonight to try and state the case for the board approving replacement windows in general. But I'm not keeping my hopes up too much, as our board is notoriously thick headed.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

I would think about looking into whether or not they are overstepping the realm of their authority in some of their demands. From my experience, their authority lies only in the external appearance. I don't see how they could dictate the installation method as long as it is installed properly and the appearance meets their requirements, unless there is some verbiage giving them that authority. A good friend of mine sits on a condo board, although different associations may have different rules.

malibunat

#8 Post by malibunat »

Thanks. If they won't approve the replacement windows I will look into that route. I just got a quote from the contractor who installed my windows originally that he can convert them to nail-on for around $3k. I hope I don't have to go that route! Just seems like such a waste to take out brand new windows just to re-install them!

malibunat

#9 Post by malibunat »

Just met with the board. They won't approve them. They say even if there is no water leakage issues, they don't like the extra "flange" that covers the window seal that replacement windows have. They want the windows flush with the wall which only new construction style windows can supposedly. So looks like I will have to go the conversion to nail-on route. I have a feeling talking to a lawyer about whether they have a right to make me do this will be more costly than actually doing the conversion...

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Flange or no-flange, they can be installed to appear exactly the same