Replacing circa 1977 Andersen Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
mjmerwin

Replacing circa 1977 Andersen Windows

#1 Post by mjmerwin »

Hello all,

I've been prowling around all over the internet trying to figure out the best way to go about replacing my windows. I've had several quotes and am currently leading toward Sunrise Restorations, but can't quite get past the idea that I can do this myself. I think I've got the story straight, for the most part, but my existing windows don't really fit the descriptions most often given.

I have 1977 Andersen windows double hungs (which are now falling apart). They have plastic pieces instead of the wood stops that most of the replacement instructions refer to - not compression pieces but hard plastic tracks that the sashes move in. The screen also mounts into this plastic track. There is no apparent outside stop that most pocket replacements refer to as being kept for the new window to mount against. There is also a plastic track on top which the top sash abuts, and apparently hides the counterweight system (I don't think there are actual weights, but some force balance system).

Has anybody replaced these windows? Is pocket replacment appropriate for these windows? I'm wondering the correct way to measure these things for pocket replacement, and don't want to disassemble a window to take the plastic tracks off just to get a measurement...and then wait 3-6 weeks for delivery (possibly without a window if things go awry).

Also, are there any better quality DIY pocket replacement windows available? Frankly, the Lowes/HD options aren't that impressive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#2 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Your not going to find a good replacement window at Lowes, HD or Menards. ABC supply and Alside would probably sell you one and their others. The windows your replacing do require paying attention to the correct placement of the new window and your job well require new inside and outside stops. It's been a couple of years since I've replaced one like yours and is is more difficult, but nothing life threatening.

windowman pa

Sunrise Windows

#3 Post by windowman pa »

Where are you buying your Sunrise windows?

mjmerwin

Re: Sunrise Windows

#4 Post by mjmerwin »

windowman pa wrote:Where are you buying your Sunrise windows?
Thanks for the reponses....

Swing Line windows in Pittsburgh is the company that quoted Sunrise. Others have quoted CertainTeed and Alside.