Replacement windows in Greenville, SC

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Forbesy

Replacement windows in Greenville, SC

#1 Post by Forbesy »

Looking for some suggestions/feedback on replacement windows in the Greenville, SC area. So far we have talked to Taylors Window and Screen and Southern Vinyl and Window... next on the list is Window World. Does anyone out there have experience locally with these companies? Or suggestions of others to talk with?

Windows on Washington

Re: Replacement windows in Greenville, SC

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What brands a given company sells is usually indicative of what kind of approach they take to the business. It is tough for people to know of every company out there as there are thousands of manufacturers and even more installation companies.

Post up what they were quoting and go look at some work samples.

You can also contact the recommended manufacturers on these boards and ask for their local dealers in your area to narrow the search a bit.

Homer-D-Poe

#3 Post by Homer-D-Poe »

The Home Depot 6500 series has a double lifetime product warranty (for you and the homeowner after you), lifetime craftsmanship warranty (covers the install itself), lifetime glass breakage and lifetime screen and hardware replacement.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

The HD 6500 is nothing more than the Simonton Reflections 5500/Prism Platinum. Most Simonton dealers offer it for less than HD. Simonton warrants their windows with a lifetime transferable warranty. All HD does is warrant installation labor. If a window is installed properly, the odds of it ever needing a repair that the homeowner can't do himself is very rare. Most issues with windows are simple items like a glass seal faillure or broken glass. In these cases it's a simple matter of replacing the sash, which is about as easy as it gets.

The big issue with HD is the subs they use are apparently not checked out very thoroughly. While there are some good installers working for HD, there are a lot that should be put in jail for impersonating a contractor.

With a local dealer, you can check them out with references and find out exactly what skills the individual who will be installing your windows has. With HD, you just get whomever's name comes up next on the sub-contractors list. You are also required to pay for the job 100% up front before the order will even be placed. Not something any consumer agency recommends.

You will also very likely get a better price from a local Simonton dealer.

Forbesy

#5 Post by Forbesy »

I have not been able to find a local dealer for Simonton. Mostly I'm interested to know if anyone has any experience with Taylors Window, Southern Vinyl and Windows, Champion. Those are the locals that we have talked to so far. I have absolutely NO INTEREST in using HD or Lowe's. We have had very bad experience with both for smaller projects.

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

It's unlikely you are going to find someone on this site who is familiar enough with your local window contractors to help you that specifically. If you can tell us what window they recommended, we can give you an overview of the manufacturer and overall window quality. If you want specific information on a company, I would suggest getting some references from them and checking them out. I would also check on Angies List and the BBB.

toddinmn

#7 Post by toddinmn »

My neighbor was going to use Lowes to have there carpet installed until they read the contract.It stated that the subs they use may or may not have liability insurance.She wanted them to rewrite the contract so it would be required but they would not do it. Could not verify insurance with the sub since they did not know who it was going to be.Whoever you use I would make sure all the specific details of the install are on the contract.Typically a good company/installer will go over all of the details in detail.

onsite

#8 Post by onsite »

Forbesy wrote:Looking for some suggestions/feedback on replacement windows in the Greenville, SC area. So far we have talked to Taylors Window and Screen and Southern Vinyl and Window... next on the list is Window World. Does anyone out there have experience locally with these companies? Or suggestions of others to talk with?

I am going through the same process. Spoke with Taylors, Southern and Champion. Have narrowed it down to Taylors or Southern. Curious to know which company you decided to go with and why,and are you happy with their product?