Help with window decision

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
windowshopper

Help with window decision

#1 Post by windowshopper »

Iam in the process of selecting replacement windows for my house. I have 6 estimates that vary from $5400 - $19,000 for 10 - 12 windows (depending on how my large living room window is treated). There are some obvious differences in the windows that have allowed me to eliminate some of the estimates, but of the remaining bids the windows seem fairly similar with the exception of the balance mechanisms. I have not been lucky in finding neutral discussions of the different systems on the web and this seems to be the deciding issue at this point. I hope that some people out here, who are not trying to sell me anything, can give knowledgable opinions on constant force vs. spiral balance vs. block and tackle.

Thanks for the help.

HipKat

#2 Post by HipKat »

First, curious to know the choices and the prices and second, I prefer the constant force, wich I believe has become pretty much the standard.
Heavier windows get more added.

windowrep

#3 Post by windowrep »

If the spiral balance requires grease as did the old caldwell spirals, then stay away from it. their are spiral balances out their that do not require grease and operate very nicely and require no adjusting.the constant force also has its own issues. make sure you check the warranty to see if it is covered. should be covered transferable for life. as long as the manufacturer stands behind the window you will be in good shape. all balance systems are easily replaced if there should be a problem. i would be more concerned with glass package,metal reinforced rails,spacer and install warranty. good luck.