Lowes v. Pella to install Pella windows? HELP US DECIDE!

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jen&tjwebb

Lowes v. Pella to install Pella windows? HELP US DECIDE!

#1 Post by jen&tjwebb »

We have been given quotes from both Lowes and Pella directly to install Pella windows. Lowes was slightly less inexpensive. Any thoughts either way as to one installer over the other? We need help! Thank You!

HomeSealed

Re: Lowes v. Pella to install Pella windows? HELP US DECIDE!

#2 Post by HomeSealed »

Are you stuck with Pella windows? ... I would avoid a "big box" installation at all costs, so if you are set on Pella, have either a local company or Pella's dealer in your area do the install.

jen&tjwebb

#3 Post by jen&tjwebb »

Yes we are sticking with Pella, but my question is should I have Loews do the install at a less expensive price or the local Pella dealership in my area or a slightly higher price? I'm kind of torn between the two. Thanks

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I actually answered that already :wink:... "big box" refers to stores like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. My reasoning for avoiding them is that their installation programs can really be hit or miss from what I've seen. They typically pay their installers less than the "going-rate" and seem to have a revolving door for installer because of this... To elaborate on my other comment, if you are looking at vinyl, I (and pretty much everyone else that knows anything about windows) would strongly suggest that you reconsider Pella, and look into a better product. If you are getting wood (Pella)windows, you are in better shape. You could better but you could also do worse.
Last edited by HomeSealed on Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Skydawggy

#5 Post by Skydawggy »

I'd just follow the guidelines that every consumer agency in the world recommends. Never pay more than 50% up front and always ask for references on that specific installer and then call their previous clients and ask if they were satisfied. Also make sure you get everything in writing.

jen&tjwebb

#6 Post by jen&tjwebb »

Thanks to everyone for your input! It is helpful and appreciated.

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I would use neither. Contact Pella directly and ask for a referal to a PCC, pella certified contractor.

jen&tjwebb

#8 Post by jen&tjwebb »

Thank you for your input. It is greatly appreciated!

windowdan

#9 Post by windowdan »

You can get a good installation from Lowes. I install for Lowes and I also install for Pella .
I also install for several other manufacturers.
I am factory certified and trained by several companies. Receive ongoing training several times per year from Pella, and Lowes. Also Atrium etc.
Installation master certified blah blah blah.
As for a revolving door not hardly. Been with Lowes 12 years and Pella 6. Have been installing 19+ years.
Please do not listen to all the bull sales people on this site who have never installed a single window spew.
There are really very good people here and there are those that profess to know everything. and know nothing except to bash their competition.
How about this ask for an installation master certified installer. Go out and look at a job. See if the interior trim and exterior trim is acceptable for you. Check a few references. ask for proof of insurance and a contractors license . Then proceed as you see fit.(by the way also ask for proof that all crew members are back round checked for you family's safety mine are)
Lowes will ask for all money upfront and will not pay me unless you are happy . Then call you 3 times to make sure you are. Pella will take half upfront the balance upon completion and if there are any problems bend over backwards or jump through hoops to make sure you are 100% satisfied.
If you do some digging you will find many installers who work for several companies at the same time and the sales people all profess that A sucks and B is better but A and B are the same guys and they know it.
In my area 6 companies sell the same window from the same distributor and use the same installers and all claim their window is better than the other 5.
My point if there is one . Research your installer do'nt just take a sales persons word (remember their comision is at stake) when comparing apples to apples the only difference is the way its processed. I hope that makes sense.
Reliabilt, Pella, Thermatru, Sealrite, larson, Atrium, , Benchmark . This is the latest list of factory training seminars a Lowes installer has had to attend twice in the last 6 months. Pella I am on my third factory seminar for the year this one covering new installation techniques and products next week.
Alside I had to watch a 45 minute DVD. (the same one they give to window world installers to be "factory certified") very unimpressive but I did get a spiffy certificate with my name on it.

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

windowdan wrote:You can get a good installation from Lowes. I install for Lowes and I also install for Pella .
I also install for several other manufacturers.
I am factory certified and trained by several companies. Receive ongoing training several times per year from Pella, and Lowes. Also Atrium etc.
Installation master certified blah blah blah.
As for a revolving door not hardly. Been with Lowes 12 years and Pella 6. Have been installing 19+ years.
Please do not listen to all the bull sales people on this site who have never installed a single window spew.
There are really very good people here and there are those that profess to know everything. and know nothing except to bash their competition.
How about this ask for an installation master certified installer. Go out and look at a job. See if the interior trim and exterior trim is acceptable for you. Check a few references. ask for proof of insurance and a contractors license . Then proceed as you see fit.(by the way also ask for proof that all crew members are back round checked for you family's safety mine are)
Lowes will ask for all money upfront and will not pay me unless you are happy . Then call you 3 times to make sure you are. Pella will take half upfront the balance upon completion and if there are any problems bend over backwards or jump through hoops to make sure you are 100% satisfied.
If you do some digging you will find many installers who work for several companies at the same time and the sales people all profess that A sucks and B is better but A and B are the same guys and they know it.
In my area 6 companies sell the same window from the same distributor and use the same installers and all claim their window is better than the other 5.
My point if there is one . Research your installer do'nt just take a sales persons word (remember their comision is at stake) when comparing apples to apples the only difference is the way its processed. I hope that makes sense.
Reliabilt, Pella, Thermatru, Sealrite, larson, Atrium, , Benchmark . This is the latest list of factory training seminars a Lowes installer has had to attend twice in the last 6 months. Pella I am on my third factory seminar for the year this one covering new installation techniques and products next week.
Alside I had to watch a 45 minute DVD. (the same one they give to window world installers to be "factory certified") very unimpressive but I did get a spiffy certificate with my name on it.
Thermatru and Sealrite are the same product... While I have mixed reviews on product, Pella's service has been less than stellar in my experience and seemingly that of many others if web search gives any indication.... Either way, my stance is- and has been- that the highest level installers demand the highest price. You usually won't find these folks installing for big boxes or "discount" window companies, but of course there are exceptions to every rule. I can't, however , in good conscience give advice that folks should pay a premuim price for a product and install that is less than premium. Case in point, I had a client on Wed who I quoted Gorell windows. My price was within a couple hundred dollars of another solid local company who sells Softlite. Two solid companies with solid products. The big box on the other hand (I wont say which) was $2k more! Ironically, WW was about half what he was charging for a similar product/install.

patronsurveys

#11 Post by patronsurveys »

Not only with Pella, lowes is less expensive when compared to other stores. Finally, you have chosen the correct choice. Lowes terms and conditions, Survey schemes are customer friendly.

TheWindowNerd

#12 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Interesting that you come on here after this thread is 10+ years old and prattle.

I operate in the Philly suburbs. Just a few years ago, the manager of a lowes contacted us and had us supply and install all the windows in his house. He did not trust his own install program. Also in my market Pella/Gunton uses subs for thier installs. Most do a good job, but every so often you get a crew that should and is being weeded out.

theWindowNerd.com

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Since this has been bumped, I'd just update my comments for 2024 by stating that skilled labor shortages have widened this gap substantially in the last 13 years. Box stores and "discount" type dealers are paying installers a fraction of what high quality companies are offering these days, and even the guys paying big bucks have more work than quality installers. Larger pay gap = larger quality gap.

Delaware Mike

#14 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm sorry my response isn't helpful at all, but all the Lowes and Pella corporate stores by me employ window butcher hacks. I have seen countless jobs by both and everything from the interior trim work (miter joints) to exterior capping and j-channel work is completely unacceptable. Don't get me started on the caulking.

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

My answer here would be Pella. In my area the box store installs are as described by DM. The local Pella branch is at least mixed, with some good installers. If you are set on that product, that would be the choice from my perspective, although based on DM's feedback that could certainly vary by market... The box store concerns though are pretty universal.

On a related note, are you set on that product for any particular reason?
There are many better performing options in vinyl, generally in the same price tier. If its a wood or fiberglass line that you are considering it is a little better, but I'd still opt for the other members of the "big 3" (Marvin or Andersen) which are generally regarded as better quality.