Window Install Recommendations

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
biker

Window Install Recommendations

#1 Post by biker »

Hi Folks,

Has anyone used Windows Plus based out of Media, PA? Can you tell me if you have/had a good experience with them?

I finally had the first few windows (Okna Starmark) installed in my home this past week and the installer did not do well. I am now seeking to find a company who will do a good job.

Any review/info on Windows Plus or any recommendations is greatly appreciated....I'm located in the King-of-Prussia area.

Thanks for your help!

Delaware Mike

Re: Window Install Recommendations

#2 Post by Delaware Mike »

I've have had homeowners that have had proposals from them in the past. Don't really know all that much about them. What did the installer do to lose your trust? I would imagine that OKNA would not like to hear that a dealer of theirs was performing sub-standard installs?

biker

#3 Post by biker »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply.

There were a few things that weren't right. The installer showed up with no wood or lumber to fill the gap after the new window inserts were installed (to support the new capping). I ended up supplying the wood for him. Also, a couple of windows had rotted wood that needed to be replaced. If I didn't say anything about it, he would have not replaced it. He kept trying to take shortcuts and just get the windows in.

For the most part, he did not pay attention to his work. He did not properly fill the window gap with the spray-in foam. I had to point out the 2 & 3 inch voids and ask him to do so. At the end, I had to ask him multiple times to re-caulk each window; where I still have voids open to the environment. When he finished the caulk was a mess and looked like a child did it.

These windows need to be re-caulked and possible re-capped too.

So now, I am looking for someone good at their craft who can help me finish the project. I have 24 windows to go, so there is plenty of work.

Do you know of anyone who fits that bill in my area?

Thanks.

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

What window brand and model did Windows Plus show you. It's been so long I can't remember what they sell.

Edit: OK they sell Vytex and Gorell. Which one did they give you a quote for?

biker

#5 Post by biker »

Hi Eco Star,

I want to stay with the Starmark windows. They gave me a quote for the Starmarks, matching my original price, which is a good price.

I did a little more research on them (Angies List & Yahoo Reviews) along with thinking about my brief meeting with their project manager, and phone call with the owner and am leaning towards not using them. My instincts are telling me they are more interested in closing deals rather providing great service. They use pressure tactics which usually ends up not being good in the long run.

If you know of anything, good or bad, please let me know.
Also, if anyone here wants to pick up my project, let me know and I'll provide my contact info. I'd welcome the opportunity.

Thanks!

Skydawggy

#6 Post by Skydawggy »

The Starmark is made by Okna. Go to Okna's website and use the dealer locator feature. Then you can check Angies List and the BBB before contacting the dealers. I can tell you Okna only allows a certain number of dealers in a geographic area.