How Much Could This Cost?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ak74

How Much Could This Cost?

#1 Post by ak74 »

Hey All.

I am loooking to replace 10 windows in my house (Daly City, CA). Here are their rough sizes (width x height) and the features that I want:

1. 48" x 71" - Single Slider, tempered, lo-e2, superspacer
2. 61.5" x 71" - Single Slider, lo-e2, superspacer
3. 46.4" x 17" - Single Slider, obscure, superspacer
4. 37" x 23" - Double Hung, obscure, superspacer
5. 61" x 41" - Single Slider, lo-e2, superspacer
6. 29" x 71" - Single Hung, tempered, lo-e2, superspacer
7. 83.5" x 71" - Picture, tempered, lo-e2, superspacer
8. 83.5" x 71" - Picture, tempered, lo-e2, superspacer
9. 29" x 71" - Single Hung, tempered, lo-e2, superspacer
10. 71" x 37" - Single Slider, lo-e2, superspacer

How much should this job cost if I get Polybau, LBL, or Amerimax windows for example?

ak74

Re: How Much Could This Cost?

#2 Post by ak74 »

The cheapest I have been quoted for the above job is $5,700 for Amerimax Windows 9000 Series and that is including taxes and installation. Is that a good price?

Thanks.
-AK74

FenEx

#3 Post by FenEx »

AK47

If I may ask, what do you do for a living and what services do you provide?

ak74

Re: Reply

#4 Post by ak74 »

FenEx wrote:AK47

If I may ask, what do you do for a living and what services do you provide?
I am a computer engineer and I do not provide any window services. Why do you ask FenEx?

-AK74

FenEx

#5 Post by FenEx »

Ok... I have a central server and 5 computers in my offices. I'd like to upgrade them and my software to more advanced technology that is currently available. I want more processing speed and more memory and I'd like to get upgrades to all of my software programs. What should this cost?

My point is, you are asking for guesstimates that won't really help you as they will be guesses. The quality of the contractor you select, the requirements for proper installation that need to be physically seen by a professional, the geographic cost of doing business where you live, and many other variables could make your job run $5,000 or $10,000 or $20,000.

Just as I am sure you would tell me in response to the first paragraph, you would need a whole lot more information before you would offer a reasonably accurate pricepoint. Are your old windows steel frames set in stucco? Are they 20' above grade and near the neighbor's Rottweiler dogrun? Is your interior trim being replaced? Are you getting my point?

I suggest researching some more local companies and getting a few more "eyes-on" estimates.

ak74

Re: Reply

#6 Post by ak74 »

FenEx wrote:Ok... I have a central server and 5 computers in my offices. I'd like to upgrade them and my software to more advanced technology that is currently available. I want more processing speed and more memory and I'd like to get upgrades to all of my software programs. What should this cost?

My point is, you are asking for guesstimates that won't really help you as they will be guesses. The quality of the contractor you select, the requirements for proper installation that need to be physically seen by a professional, the geographic cost of doing business where you live, and many other variables could make your job run $5,000 or $10,000 or $20,000.

Just as I am sure you would tell me in response to the first paragraph, you would need a whole lot more information before you would offer a reasonably accurate pricepoint. Are your old windows steel frames set in stucco? Are they 20' above grade and near the neighbor's Rottweiler dogrun? Is your interior trim being replaced? Are you getting my point?

I suggest researching some more local companies and getting a few more "eyes-on" estimates.
Oh come on FenEx. I completely understand that I am asking for a "guesstimate" and I still would like to know what people think. However, someone here on the board could be an Amerimax Reseller. Perhaps that someone could be able to tell me how much would the windows themselves cost (I believe I provided all the needed info.) and I can then figure out (or guess) the installation costs myself.

tah

#7 Post by tah »

ah47,

Did you really expect to get estimates online? As Fenex asked can I do the same for computer upgrades, just list specs and get a price? Or is it possible that it could be just a little more complicated than that?

Believe it or not everyone does NOT pay the same exact price for windows from a factory. Buy more, pay less, simple economics. Since this is usually competitive information asking for the cost of windows is essentially asking for profit margin, expenses, etc....

Most folks would tell you what they pay for windows is none of your business. I would agree. I understand looking for a buyer's advantage, we all do the same thing. However, earning an advantage through research and time is completely different than posting on a forum, asking privileged trade information and expecting to be spoon-fed as though you somehow deserve it.

windowrep

#8 Post by windowrep »

ak47 is asking the same question everyone on this site is asking. is this a good price. 90% of the posts on this forum is people throwing out prices and telling people what they should pay. even if they live 2,000 miles away. all this board and the other board have turned into is marketing tools and ways for dealers to pump up their products. i am glad i took all the information from this board that i could digest a while ago because the information has decreased dramatically. if you dont beleive me use the search feature. about 8 months ago i thought pricing was no longer going to be discussed because there is no way to give an accurate guess. so much for that. dont worry ak47 someone will post on here soon that you are paying too much and look at their window. i was under the impression that this was a forum to ask questions about replacement windows, not an online quote service. the guys who have been here over a year please correct me if i am wrong. the real crime is the knowledge of replacement windows and experience some posters have on this board is not being taken advantage of because of the pricing and marketing games. okay i am done now, just my thought, take it or leave it.

FenEx

#9 Post by FenEx »

Exactly Windowrep. I suggested that pricing shouldn't be given as it cannot be accurate without seeing each circumstance. It can cost a reliable contractor a job and a researching consumer a good deal. Once a lower number is thrown at them they will begin a negative journey that is without legitimate foundation.

Numbers way out of line will be called out, but for an accurate quote it needs to be seen.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#10 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

This is just my opinion, but I can within 80% accuracy drive by a house at 30mph and give you an estimate on your windows. The variables are, I can't see any potential rot from that distance and what type of trim work may have to be replaced or added, and what window is really best for your situation. I have done enough homes and so have the rest of you pro's to do the same thing. The problem is this is not a very professional approach and does not give you the chance to point out all of the issues that might be at stake in each instance. So to all of the customers asking for some accurate prices without the window co taking a good look at your job and assesing it properly, don't rely on guesstimates (I think thats spelled right) there is no shortcut. I don't like salespeople either and half of the time I am one. It may be a painfull process for you but well worth the time considering it's a large investment you only want to do once. Look at it this way.........if you make the wrong decision do you want to go through this again.

windowrep

#11 Post by windowrep »

maybe i do not get it. at 80% accuracy that is the difference of maybe 3-6 thousand dollars. not fair to me or the person paying their hard earned money. if the actual price is more they win, if it is less you win? no businessman runs his company that way so why do people think it is okay over the internet? another window guy i am not commenting specifically to you but just as a general statement ,so dont take it the wrong way.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#12 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

I won't take it the wrong way.........because you get it. But did I make it clear enough to the buyers.