Loss of Glass with Vinyl Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
steelersfan

Loss of Glass with Vinyl Windows

#1 Post by steelersfan »

Is the loss of glass with Vinyl windows that noticiable for those that already have bought windows?

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

sometimes size matters

#2 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

I put ten windows in my sisters house. When she ordered them her comment was the three in the den I want wine colored to match interior colors and the rest can be white, I want a good window and a low price..........doesn't everybody. So in her living room I put Alside 8000's a decent window and built well enough to take care of the size 42" wide and 64" high and the rest of the house fiberglass windows because of other color issues. I only charged her $3400.00 just enough to cover my cost. When she got home she was quite happy with most of the job but had a fit when she saw the LR windows. She didn't want the dining room windows done and looking at them compared to the lr windows their was a difference in reduced glass area. Well to make this story short, I'm getting her new lr windows and they'll have to be fiberglass.
I guess in answer to you question you lose somewhere aroung 20% in Glass area depending upon the size. Now if I had done them all maybe she would'nt have noticed. If your concern is how much glass well I lose, than sometimes the answer is narrowline fiberglass windows which the factory matched perfectly for her wine colored issue.

steelersfan

#3 Post by steelersfan »

I'm very nervous about loosing all the glass. Most of my windows are 32 inches wide by 65 high, but one is 22 inches by 65!! I never thought about loosing the glass until doing reserach after buying them. Now I'm a little worried.

Less glass but glass pack is best I guess. :x

M

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#4 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Your windows are wide enough to not notice the difference except for that small one. Replacement windows have to reduce glass size because they fit into the old jamb. I've done thousands and almost always the customers are very happy, but I do point out that there well be a reduction in glass size and the only way around it is to do full jamb replacement at an additional cost of about $150.00 per window.....that usually makes it very acceptable.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Don't worry about it. When you have your new windows in you won't even remember what your old ones looked like. The new ones will look like they always belonged there.

Quit worrying so much!

steelersfan

#6 Post by steelersfan »

Windows4u,

I'm sure you're right. I feel bad 'cause the guy that I bought them from probabaly wishes he never met me (he peruses these boards)!!!!

Delaware Mike

#7 Post by Delaware Mike »

NOT AT ALL! I just keep a bottle of Jack by the computer for when I read your posts. Just kidding.......

I did look at fiberglass for your project. The Pella products still had the intercept spacer just like all of the other vinyl windows that you looked at and the store did not even have the double hung samples, just the single hung. I would not have went with Pella as I think there are better fiberglass options out there, they just are not cost efficient.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

STEELERSFAN

#8 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

window4u pretty much said it all, after a short time you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner especially when the north winds are blowing and your in your home warm and toasty with lower fuel bills with a window that well last long after your pushing up daisys. Give your sales rep a break JD's get's expensive if you go through a bottle everytime you have reservations. You have made a wise choice.........sleep well.

steelersfan

#9 Post by steelersfan »

HAHAH!! I had the Marvin Infinity guy at my house a couple of days after seeing the Schuco and aside from the fiberglass, I couldn't see going with it. - nothing special about it.

Right now I'm into pricing out a new grill for the deck as well as a new tree for the back yard. My focus on windows is easing up a bit!

Do you guys drive German cars also? I have a VW - should turn over a hundred thousand miles today on it. I like the feel of the car. I notice the same obsesssion with Scucho windows as the VW people have with their cars (www.vwvortex.com - best VW site around).

Mike, a bottle of Dewars will be waiting for you at the end of the job!