Looking for suggestions - Long Island, NY

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Tufflaw

Looking for suggestions - Long Island, NY

#1 Post by Tufflaw »

Hello! I was hoping to get some advice from the experts here, since I am completely uneducated about windows. My wife signed us up to get a free estimate from someone in BJ's wholesale club, and the company is Power HRG (apparently formerly Power Windows and Siding), they sent a very nice salesman out to look at the house. We're replacing 13 double-hung windows and two sets of sliding glass doors. He gave us the whole pitch about how great their windows are (SL2700), etc. and the lifetime warranty which is very tempting. He gave a few different prices (this is the regular price, this is for 30 days, this is today only, etc.) the bottom line price was about $16,500 including everything, installation, removal of old windows, etc. which was for that day only but presumably I could convince to get it back in the future if they really want my business.

He said the sliding glass doors were about 5100 of that price, so it's about $875/window. Is this a reasonable price? They seem like a legit company, I've read a bunch of reviews elsewhere that complained mostly about their sales pitches, but not really about the quality of their work and product which is all I really care about. Also not trying to break the bank, I don't make a lot of money and we have a new baby so trying to keep a reasonable budget. Or if anyone can suggest any other reputable companies in my area (if that's not allowed on this board I apologize).

If I'm leaving important information out, please let me know, thanks!!

Skydawggy

Re: Looking for suggestions - Long Island, NY

#2 Post by Skydawggy »

I would suggest getting a few estimates from a local dealer. Some of the brands we like on this site include Sunrise, Simonton, Softlite, Okna and Gorell. Take a look at at least 2 more windows before deciding.

Tufflaw

#3 Post by Tufflaw »

EcoStar Windows wrote:I would suggest getting a few estimates from a local dealer. Some of the brands we like on this site include Sunrise, Simonton, Softlite, Okna and Gorell. Take a look at at least 2 more windows before deciding.
Thanks - someone I know suggested a local dealer called Unified Window System that advertise in the papers here, looks to be significantly less expensive (about $10,000 cheaper!) - going to schedule a sales appointment with them. Any suggestions on what I should be asking? I already verified that their advertised prices include the complete installation including removal of old windows/doors and clean up afterwards. Anything else I should make sure of? Thanks!

Skydawggy

#4 Post by Skydawggy »

Well, knowing the brand of the window would be important information. :lol:

Don't shop windows for a low price or you will likely be severely disappointed in a few years.

Get the estimate and as much detail as you can. Don't fall for any phoney "good for today only" offers and then come back here and tell us what you know.

Tufflaw

#5 Post by Tufflaw »

OK, met with two other companies, one is significantly cheaper than the other but that isn't necessarily my only consideration, I'm willing to pay a little more for higher quality.

One company I met with is offering their double hung windows (with low-e, argon, foam, etc.) for $279 installed, that includes everything including removal of old windows and clean-up. Their sliders are $349. I have one basement window to replace which will be $159.

I'm also replacing two sets of sliding patio doors, one with another set of sliding doors, another with french doors. The sliding doors are $1250 + $240 for cap and trim. The french doors are $2300 including everything including welded hinges.

the windows and sliding doors are manufactured by Ideal, and the french doors are Secura Seal. The salesman told me the most important number on the sticker is the air leakage number, and there's is .1 which is the lowest you can go.

The total would be about $7500 for the whole job. He said their prices are so low because they do enormous volume and are able to get the windows at a very competitive price.

The other company didn't do a per-window cost, but gave a price for the whole job (just windows) at about $5900. The sliding doors would be 1600, and french doors would be $3300 for steel, or $4000 for fiberglass. The salesman recommended that I do not go with outward swinging french doors because he said that in a rainstorm the rain would come in based on the way the doors are designed, that I should use inward swinging doors.

The windows are made by United Windows Manufacturer, Eclipse model, and the salesman said they use Royal Vinyl which is stronger than regular vinyl and allows them to use less vinyl (29% less) to give me more glass for each window. The sliding door is made by PH Tech (a Canadian company), and the french doors are made in-house. When I asked about the air leakage number he didn't know what I was talking about, he said that there should be zero air leakage. Total cost for the job about $10,500.

Both companies have been around for a few decades. Anyone have any thought, suggestions? Thanks!

randy

#6 Post by randy »

The salesman recommended that I do not go with outward swinging french doors because he said that in a rainstorm the rain would come in based on the way the doors are designed, that I should use inward swinging doors.
As a general rule, this is incorrect. Outswing doors are typically much better at keeping out rain, particularly when it's wind driven rain. In hurricane prone areas (Florida, coastal Texas, etc...) outswing doors are the dominant choice.

Sorry, I can't help on the brands mentioned, as they are not available in Houston, as far as I know.

6spider9

#7 Post by 6spider9 »

Keep in mind warranties as well. The double lifetime warranty offered by Power Home Remodeling is transferrable to the next owner. They will also repair FREE of Charge any thing that possibly goes wrong with a window, including accidental glass breakage (if that is possible), screen replacement, etc. I don't know of any other company that has or will ever offer such a warranty. Even labor is included in the FREE repair. They have are now the representative installer for BJ's and several other large chains. You can't have that relationship w/o a good reputation if you are a terrible service company or have poor quality windows.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

6spider9 wrote:Keep in mind warranties as well. The double lifetime warranty offered by Power Home Remodeling is transferrable to the next owner. They will also repair FREE of Charge any thing that possibly goes wrong with a window, including accidental glass breakage (if that is possible), screen replacement, etc. I don't know of any other company that has or will ever offer such a warranty. Even labor is included in the FREE repair. They have are now the representative installer for BJ's and several other large chains. You can't have that relationship w/o a good reputation if you are a terrible service company or have poor quality windows.
Actually that warranty is pretty common. If you survey 10 window replacement companies in a given market, you'll probably find 9-10 with transferable warranties, and 6 or 7 will have glass breakage and lifetime labor. Personally I'd recommend choosing one of those companies that doesn't gouge on the price or use high-pressure sales tactics, regardless of the product quality.
On getting in with a large chain "wholesale store", that is a spot that is open to the highest bidder.

masterext
Location: Window Pro-Serves All of Northern New Jersey. Bergen, Morris, Union, Essex, Passaic, Sussex Counties

#9 Post by masterext »

it seems as though the OP is very concerned about price and that is a mistake. paying too little is just as bad but often times worse than paying too much. ask anyone about a window installed for 299 and bet the farm they are now replacing them again.
go with a quality brand . gorell, soft lite, okna/ hiMark/ and sunrise should all be available in your area theough a qualified dealer network.

buddy110

#10 Post by buddy110 »

Power W&S has an "ok" window, but nothing special. I would definitely keep looking, especially @ 875 per window :shock: . OTOH $279 installed for any window is a red flag IMO. Look for Gorell, Himark/okna, Softlite, Simonton and Sunrise. Once you've found these top brands it's time to interview installers, their techniques and reputations. Then choose your guy. Chances are you'll do very well using this criteria.

HS is correct, the so called "unique warranty" offered by power is anything but..... Our company has been offering that for 20+ years. :roll: