Window repair question....

For those self-installers
christianlove777

Window repair question....

#1 Post by christianlove777 »

I have some question about window repair. I have a very bad brickmold and base damage so I have to take them off and replace them with a new brickmold and base. The brickmold already got prime on it (from Home Depot) and I paint it one coat with exterior Semi-gloss Latex paint (from Wal-Mart) so it won't wear out or rot fast (hopefully). On the base it's bare wood 2X8 (probably got a little bit of oil on it) I sanded most of it off so I can put the paint on it. I don't know if I did a good job because after 2nd coat of paint my father tried to sand some bubbles off but the paint came off the wood easily. It's been dry for 2 days so I don't know what the deal is. Do I have to sand it really good (I was concern that if I oversand it the measurement from base to top of the frame will be different measurement), prime it let it dry for a day then paint it with exterior semi-gloss? How many time do I need to prime it? And how many coat of paint? I don't have a primer paint and I wasn't sure if I really need it or not. The goal is to cover the wood with paint so it won't rot for a really long time then fold aluminum over it to keep the rain off it. I already order the window since it will take 2 weeks to get here so that will give me time to repair the window. I found one brand that have both prime and paint in the same gallon....should it be seperate or is that ok? Thanks.

christianlove777

Re: Window repair question....

#2 Post by christianlove777 »

I was told to sand the bare wood, prime it with KILZ Premium 1-Gal. Water-Based White Interior/Exterior Primer, Sealer and Stain-Blocker, then paint it with latex paint just one coat and that's it.....was that a good advice? Thanks.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sounds pretty solid.

Be sure to bed the paint and primer deeply into the cut sections of wood to seal the grain.

christianlove777

#4 Post by christianlove777 »

Is 1 coat of primer and 1 coat of paint enough or does it need another coat? Some said 2 or more coats but when I explain what my project is they said 1 is enough so I'm not sure if they know about the paint or just guessing....Thanks.