Can Gore's Vivid View screen be bought in a roll for a DIY?

For those self-installers
ibekatwoman

Can Gore's Vivid View screen be bought in a roll for a DIY?

#1 Post by ibekatwoman »

Hi.

I've been looking for screen mesh/fabric similar to the Vivid View that came with my Pella windows. Pella can't help me -- and I can't find a comparable product. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance....

Jo

Windows on Washington

Re: Can Gore's Vivid View screen be bought in a roll for a DIY?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

They guard that stuff like grim death.

It is a stainless steel wire mesh. It is very expensive and has to be purchased in bulk from the manufacturers.

You best bet is to see if you can call a glazing company in your area that does screens and ask them if they have anything similar.

I tried to track this product down for our own applications a number of years ago with limited to zero success. They want you to purchase just too much of it.

ibekatwoman

#3 Post by ibekatwoman »

Thanks so much for your response. I never would have guessed that the Gore product was stainless steel wire. It sure doesn't feel like it to the touch. And maybe the Gore name threw me off, what with Gortex fiber.

Surely someone has copied this product by now. It's been out for years, right? Here's what the Pella website says:

• Vivid View screens feature Gore™ Transparent Screen Fabric, a proprietary material developed by W.L. Gore and Associates, Inc.
• Gore is a leader in developing advanced technology products for the electronics, industrial, fabrics and medical markets
• The company is best known for consumer products like GORE-TEX® fabric and ELIXIR® guitar strings.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

So if I definitely can't get this product, what is a close second? Are you familiar with Clear Advantage? Here's info on it:

Clear Advantage Screen
This New Exciting Virtually Invisible Fiberglass Screening Provides What Many Clients Have Been Asking For. More Clarity, Improved Airflow. Manufactured by New York Wire, The Clear Advantage Window Screen is Almost Invisible and Provides a Much Improved and Unobstructed View Compared to Standard Fiberglass Insect Screen. Clear Advantage Window Screen is Available in the Popular Charcoal Color for Enhanced Outward Visiblity. Easy to Install and Similar Weathering as Regular Fiberglass Window screen. Mesh is 20x20, .008 diameter.

>>>

I am in theWashington D.C. metro area, and it appears you are too. Any suggestions on who I might contact for help on this issue? :?:

Thanks so much...

Jo

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Truscene by Andersen is stainless steel.
Vivid Veiw or Insight by Gore is something other. I have compared all the high vis mesh and the gore product is clearly the least obtrusive.
Go to gore.com ( they call it Insight or ensight do not remember which)and track it down. Yes you can order it by the roll, it is very expensive.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#5 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Gore stopped selling it online about 6 months ago.

Here are a couple places that sell high visibility screen I found with a quick Google search:
http://www.twpinc.com/twpinc/products/T ... iVisInsect
http://wholesalescreensandglass.com/Hig ... creen.html

ibekatwoman

#6 Post by ibekatwoman »

Too bad the Gore product isn't available. Nothing compares, in my opinion. Since it's an indoor screen to keep a cat from entering a room, I can just go with wire fencing of some type. If I can't have the Gore product I really don't want a substitute that's not as good.

Thanks, all, for your help.

Jo

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

ibekatwoman wrote:Since it's an indoor screen to keep a cat from entering a room..
Maybe it would be better not to have an invisible screen. Nothing like having a cat freakin out tangled up in invisible screen. :shock: