Houston Replacement Windows

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
drfood55

Houston Replacement Windows

#1 Post by drfood55 »

New to this board and hoping for some advice.

I own a 1959 vintage ranch type house with 15 total windows. They are the original aluminum frame single pane. The replacement would be as follows.

5 sliders in bedrooms
2 small sliders in bathrooms
1 window in Living Room is going to be 1/2 solid glass w/sliders on either side, the quotes call for a 1/4, 1/2, 1/4 configuration (replaces set of 3 double hung)
1 living room window will either be solid window (no opening) or slider (replaces 2 double hung)
1 kitchen window will be slider (replaces 2 double hung)
1 breakfast room will be double hung (replaces 1 double hung)

Recently I've had quotes from several local installation companies and I am now trying to decide which is best for the area and value.

--Window World came in and gave me a quote of $4812.00 for their Series 4000 windows.
--Simonton installer quoted $5175 for Simonton 5050 series
--Installer quoted on Home Craftsman brand $6000 (web site is homecraftsman.net)

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I have the money to have the work done and my other half is really pushing to get this done ASAP.

Thanks.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#2 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

WW"s 4000 in the upper Midwest ia a mechanically fastened frame and sash, pretty much the bottom and to me not worth $3500 much less $4800. The Simonton is worth the quote it's there lower end but much superior to the 4000 from WW. The Craftsman series I'm not sure of. Ask your salesman who makes the extrusion and if he says Mikron than it's worth the additional money and is a very attractive window with sash pulls built into the sash and is a step or two above the Simonton. Both WW and Simonton use intercept spacer systems and Craftsman uses Cardinals xledge which is a notch up in glass package quality. If the Craftsman is a Mikron extrusion, offer him a little less say 5600 and that would be my choice.

homeowner

#3 Post by homeowner »

im buying from ww, waiting for install. the 4000 window is fusion welded, both sash and frame. it is the alside excalibur.

ww will upgrade to the 6000 (alside sheffield) for only $20 a window. it has thicker vinyl. thats what i did. good luck.

ANOTHER WINDOW GUY

#4 Post by ANOTHER WINDOW GUY »

Homeowner, I'm not the one who's going to need good luck.

homeowner

#5 Post by homeowner »

sorry, i was talking to drfood

drfood55

Extrusion

#6 Post by drfood55 »

According to the manufacturer it is "International extruder Deceunick".

Can anyone give me any further information/advice?

Bill

#7 Post by Bill »

If you go with the Simonton 5050 be sure to upgrade the screen frame material from the standard roll formed aluminum to the optional extruded aluminum. Upgrading the glass to low-e/argon also makes sense.

The 5050 is Simonton’s lower line but we install a fair amount of them and with the upgrades listed above is a decent window.

Bill
Uneeda Window