Harvey Tribute v. Sunrise Restorations

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
superwy

Harvey Tribute v. Sunrise Restorations

#1 Post by superwy »

First, let me thank all the experts on this board for their great insights. I have done a lot of reading and selected four windows to consider and found reputable contractors in my area to meet with for estimates. So far I have met with a Sunrise Restorations Dealer and a someone who installs everything from Andersen/Pella to Harvey. We've decided to go with vinyl, so that where I am focusing my search.

We have 13 windows in the upper level of our house, primarily 31 x 49, with two of them smaller bathroom windows. (We will do the lower level at another time, so it is critical that the same windows will be available!) In addition, we'll have a slider put over the kitchen sink and 3 basement hoppers. The quotes to date are:

Sunrise Restorations, double hung double pane, grids between the glass -- $465 per window; $420 kitchen slider and $250 hoppers.

Harvey Tribute, double hung double pane, grids between the glass -- $490 per window; $450 kitchen, $390 hoppers.

I want to compare apples to apples, so I am wondering what I should ask to see with the Okna and Thermal Industries. Is there a specific series that is most applicable?

So far I must admit I like the Sunrise best. The Harvey dealer didn't bring a sample, so I need to hunt it down if I want to see it. It is more expensive and doesn't look quite as nice on paper. Of course, the dealer for Harvey did make me nervous, warning me to watch out of the "heat lamp" demo. The Sunrise dealer has some great references (including several on this board), so I think I am good.

Any advice before my next two meetings would be great. Again, thanks for all the good "reading".

Kim
Southern MA

superwy

Re: Harvey Tribute v. Sunrise Restorations

#2 Post by superwy »

Oops-- my bad. Sunrise is more ($515) because the grids are $25 per sash. Still leaning that way.

Kim

randy

#3 Post by randy »

The Sunrise Restorations is a great window, with excellent performance numbers.

Are those installed prices?

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

That Sunrise window is nice, and that price is good bordering on outstanding if that is in fact an installed price. I believe that the Okna equivalent would be the 800 series, and I would personally not put the Thermal Industries or Harvey in the same league as the Okna and Sunrise.

superwy

#5 Post by superwy »

That is an installed price. The total for the job is just over $8,000, including 3 buckframes for the cellar windows. It does seem reasonable based on the quotes in this board. I will ask to see the Okna 800 series. Is the Thermal Industries not as quality a window? The installer gets very good reviews on Angie's List and is active on this board. We meet tomorrow.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

I don't know of any Pro's that really advocate that window on this board, but I could be wrong. My feeling is that it is outdated (I believe that the design is from the 80's). It uses a pocket sill (or snap-in sloped, which is equally as undesirable) and just doesn't have much to offer that any other mid-range window does not. That being said, it is not a terrible product by any stretch, but you can typically find better at the price... and again, I definitely would not rate it on the level of the Sunrise or Okna. If it is the Park Avenue, which is their highest line (same window with some extra bells and whistles), be prepared for a hard sales pitch. When I discussed the product with them, I was essentially told that it must sell for $1000+. :shock: :roll:

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The Sunrise or the Okna 800 would be my choice.

randy

#8 Post by randy »

The Sunrise quote is extremely aggressive, IMO.

I agree with Anthony, Sunrise or Okna by far.

Profx

#9 Post by Profx »

HomeSealed wrote:I don't know of any Pro's that really advocate that window on this board, but I could be wrong.
I'm a dealer for T.I. and I'm really impressed with their products. Their sliding door is the best in the industry imo. And their 935 and Park Avenue lines are good quality products. I think it's difficult to call any window that achieves a .18 u value "mid-range". I'm not giving anyone a hard time, but guys, just because it's not Sunrise, Okna, or Soft-lite...it's not the end of the world. I can remember being on this board years ago when everyone was screaming Schuco from the top of their lungs, now there are hundreds of customers wanting their in-line sliders fixed with no one to turn to.

To the customer, the Sunrise is a really nice window, so is the T.I. product. Go with the company and product your most comfortable with, either one will give you performance and reliability for the rest of your life.

TheWindowNerd

#10 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What is the AL on that .18 u.(is that TP with krypton?) ?
Is that a Legance, the monorail slider?

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Profx wrote:
HomeSealed wrote:I don't know of any Pro's that really advocate that window on this board, but I could be wrong.
I'm a dealer for T.I. and I'm really impressed with their products. Their sliding door is the best in the industry imo. And their 935 and Park Avenue lines are good quality products. I think it's difficult to call any window that achieves a .18 u value "mid-range". I'm not giving anyone a hard time, but guys, just because it's not Sunrise, Okna, or Soft-lite...it's not the end of the world. I can remember being on this board years ago when everyone was screaming Schuco from the top of their lungs, now there are hundreds of customers wanting their in-line sliders fixed with no one to turn to.

To the customer, the Sunrise is a really nice window, so is the T.I. product. Go with the company and product your most comfortable with, either one will give you performance and reliability for the rest of your life.
It is ironic that you bring up companies with financial troubles as TI just filed bankruptcy ( or whatever you'd like to shine it up and call it) just last year. To be fair, I don't think that they are going anywhere anytime soon, but that could change if for some reason they were to lose some of their "heavyweight dealers" like Feldco. I stand behind my statements that their products are mid-range, and certainly overpriced in the case of the Park Ave, unless their dealers are now selling it in the $500-$700 range. I will say that I do like the Legance SGD, as well as the options of stainable woodgrain and bronze exterior capstock.

randy

#12 Post by randy »

To the OP.

When prices are that aggressive, I'd check to make sure the contractor is licensed (varies by area) and insured to protect yourself. As long as everything checks out, and the installation is in keeping with the methods advocated here, take advantage of the great offer that you've received.

ranger

#13 Post by ranger »

Randy makes a valid point. that price is much too aggressive not to draw suspicion. Restorations is a great window and i cannot believe anyone can offer it so cheaply and still make a penny; something does'nt sound right . Restorations is also a much better window than the Harvey Tribute, not even close.

superwy

#14 Post by superwy »

I wonder if window prices are coming down. I stopped by a local Okna dealer today and got a "ballpark" price for the 800 series for my double hungs. He said about $441 installed. This seems to be in the same range, but I like the Restoration window better for looks on the inside. The Okna and Harvey dealer have said "lifetime warranty" on installation...basically if it is broken we'll come and fix it forever. Sunrise guy said 5 years on installation. He showed me copies of his licenses and liability insurance for the state of Massachusetts. The Sunrise dealer did windows for a poster on this site and I did contact her. (She also blogged about her experience.) She was pleased with both the windows and the installation. I am going to ask for some references, as well. The company is "Hi-Tech Windows" out of Haverhill, MA. Not sure if anyone has worked with him before or could comment, but seems to be a quality company from what I can tell. Any thoughts on the lower pricing of the Okna 800 or Restorations in this area? You guys are making me nervous! I do appreciate the help, though. Final quote tonight on the Thermal Industries and want to make a decision by the end of the week. Sunrise factory is offering a $500 rebate if contract signed by the end of the month (not dealer, but factory), so might as well if we can make the decision.

Thanks,
Kim

ranger

#15 Post by ranger »

He must be giving you prices for the Okna 400. 440 is a good price for the 400. No way in the world can anyone sell the 800 series for 400. Further, window prices actually went up not down.