Dual Pane Vinyl Windows in Coastal San Diego

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
SunnySD

Dual Pane Vinyl Windows in Coastal San Diego

#1 Post by SunnySD »

I am considering replacing 38 year old single pane aluminum windows in the living room area of an apartment next to the beach that are drafty, old looking and have rusty sills. The frames the windows would go into are 82"x58" and 106"x58." The windows are east facing and get a lot of sun in the morning, but I don't need low-e glass or pre-tinted windows because I would prefer to have a professional window tinter come and use the tint material and brand of my choice. I understand this will void the warranty and I am find with that. Some sales people have told me you can't get dual pane windows without low E properties. Is this true? I don't use heat or A/C on the coast and don't need the energy saving, insulating properties that people in extreme climates need. I've read that vinyl windows are best for a high salt coastal environment since they can stand up to the elements.

I'm not looking to reduce heat or air conditioning costs with new windows since I don't use either on the coast. I'm primarily interested in good soundproofing and the windows trapping air and leaks. These windows are east facing and in the morning, I have to roll down my mylar shade to prevent glare and my artwork and furniture from fading. I would like regular glass dual plane windows (NO low E and no argon gas filling) and then be able to have my preferred brand of window tint applied by a tinter I trust. I only use this condo 2-3 months out of the year, so I would even consider single pane vinyl windows if there is a big cost savings between the two.

Is there a federal or state law that mandates all dual pane windows have low-E glass?

Per HOA regulations, the windows must have a bronze exterior. I've noticed that most come in white. Is it a lot more costly to have vinyl windows with a bronze exterior? If so, would it be possible to paint it bronze?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

TheWindowNerd

Re: Dual Pane Vinyl Windows in Coastal San Diego

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I am on the east coast so my comments will be subject to product selection in your area.
Low e is not mandated by law, but it is the minimum publicly accepted and marketed product.
Lets look at your other three criteria: air tight, bronze exterior, and sound reduction.
Sound reduction is best handled by adding laminated glass to the glass package, the product or mfg may have something packaged for this.
Most any dual pane vinyl window will be much tigher than your old units. If this was very critical to you you could also look at the AL(air leakage rating) of various units and compare.

Bronze: I would look for coextruded or foil laminate for the split finish.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1 on Anthony Co-extruded with a bronze foil.

I would look for double pane with laminated glass for the UV protection/sound attenuation and you can add a grey or bronze tint to the window from the factory that is actually cast into the glass.

You can certainly get a window without Low-e but why would you? The Low-e will help with the fading protection by lowering the visible light through the glass and the Laminated glass will eliminate all of the damaging UV spectrum.

Fading potential is a combination of visible light and UV so you will need to address both.

There is no federal mandate on Low-e but most manufacturers have it priced so aggressively that it is like giving it away.

SunnySD

#4 Post by SunnySD »

After doing a lot of research on window tints for my primary residence, I know exactly what brand and model number window tint I want as well as the installer for my secondary residence (condo). I have no idea about the quality of the window tint (o install process) or if the properties of low E glass matches the specs of the window tint I want. I would prefer to have control over the tinting process, hence my wanting no Low-E glass.

Thanks for the suggestion on laminated glass. I think I'll ask for dual pane vinyl windows with laminated glass, with no low E and no argon gas. Will laminated glass look the same as regular glass?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

Laminated will look the same.

You can get samples of the tint, low-e, or combination. You might be surprised that it is a perfect fit and I would recommend investigating that option prior to deciding on the tint.

There should be VT and SHGC numbers from the tint that could be matched up and compared to the glass numbers.

SunnySD

#6 Post by SunnySD »

The condo these vinyl windows will be installed in only received 2.5 months of use per year. It seems like most people automatically think of Milgard and Jeld-Wen when it comes to vinyl windows. I don't need anything fancy. I'm not opposed to Milgard or Jeld-Wen, but are there any other brands that perhaps don't have the name recognition but offer the same quality at a lower price in Southern California?

SunnySD

#7 Post by SunnySD »

I've obtained quotes from six different vinyl window replacement companies for identical product and they are all within $200 of each other. Kind of disappointed as I thought there would be more variation in pricing. Is it common in the window replacement industry for companies to have such similar pricing? Not sure whether it's worth it to spend $2000 to replace two large living room windows. On a positive note, through talking to six different companies, I have changed my opinion on Low E glass.

toddinmn

#8 Post by toddinmn »

It is common as well as uncommon for prices to be close together.You will see bigger differences as the cost of the job and number of windows go up. I would ask dor full details on the install as this can greatly effect pricing and you should know all that you are getting. In MN there is a State energy code that requires a U-factor of .35, this typically would require a low-E coating.This code is rarely enforced and most don't know about it. If you wanted to save some money you could skip the laminated glass but keep in mind it does block UV light as well as helping with soundproofing. What window brand did the companies bid out? I am not a fan the Jeld-Wen vinyls I have seen.You may want check out the STC and air infiltration ratings of the windows you are comparing.

SunnySD

#9 Post by SunnySD »

I had Milgard Tuscany priced out.