Vinyl (Milgard Tuscany) vs Anderson 100 Fibrex in New Mexico

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Steve505

Vinyl (Milgard Tuscany) vs Anderson 100 Fibrex in New Mexico

#1 Post by Steve505 »

Hello- I am replacing 16 windows and 3 sliding doors in Albuquerque, NM (altitude 5000 ft). We have a mix of large picture windows, sliders, sngl/dbl hung, and an awning. We have narrowed our search to Milgard Tuscany and Anderson 100 Series Fibrex.

The windows that we are replacing are ~25 yr old alum frame double panes that have operability issues and condensation between the panes.

My major concern is how well the windows will operate as they age. Many sales people have raised concerns about vinyl's high coefficient of thermal expansion and relatively low strength. Fibrex appears to be stronger and claims to also have less thermal expansion. We see large day-night temperature swings (30 degrees or more, daily) and I am concerned about repeated expansion and contraction taking its toll on the seals and on the ease of operation over the years. It seems like this might be worse with vinyl?

We are re-stuccoing so the nail fins will be made watertight to the framing and the windows will be stucco'd in.

Price is within 5%, installer will be the same.

Should I expect the Fibrex to handle aging better?

I appreciate any thoughts that the experts might have. Should I be worried about vinyl in my climate, or not?

Thanks for your help.

Windows on Washington

Re: Vinyl (Milgard Tuscany) vs Anderson 100 Fibrex in New Mexico

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Fibrex = 10 year warranty and is 70% vinyl by volume.

The claim that FBRX will be stronger is incorrect and that it will have less expansion and contraction is questionable. In theory, the fact that it is 70% by volume vs. 100% would indicate that it would have less expansion and contraction, however, the expansion and contraction "issue" is a complete non-issue.

The engineers know this data going into the process and are more than well aware of the dynamics of vinyl and what happens at temperature. It will not be an issue for either window.

A 6' piece of vinyl might expand or contract the thickness of a nickel in a 100 degree shift.

I don't see any performance advantage to the FBRX from an operational standpoint.

Milgard is a pretty solid company and has good support on the West Coast.

slbible

Re: Vinyl (Milgard Tuscany) vs Anderson 100 Fibrex in New Mexico

#3 Post by slbible »

I'm also in Albuquerque and replacing 15 windows. I'm looking at the Andersen 100 series, Simonton Impressions 7300, Glass-Rite (locally made) and the Milgard Tuscany. They are all very comparable in price but I am having trouble deciding on which installer to use.

Do you mind sharing your vendors?