very confused in Mass

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jbinbi

very confused in Mass

#1 Post by jbinbi »

I am hoping I can get some helpful advice on replacing the original windows in my 1951 built house.

We have had 2 additions and had andersen 400 windows put in that I am happy with.

However, our original windows, with storms are just not cutting it anymore.

I had Renewal by andersen in, about $1500 a window. For 10 windows. They told me that it would take 2 people each about an hour a window. So 2 man hours per window. Considering new Andersens are $550, that's a lot of profit! I know, there is lifetime guarantee, paying the labor, and profit, but pretty darn high. That was a 3 hour sales call. They also told me that I couldn't get regular Andersen 400 windows to be put in.

Then I had home depot in. They told me that I can get Andersen 400 windows, just they don't do it yet. They had 3 different windows from $600/window to $1200/window. The actual cost of the window in the store ranged from $250 to $600, and I asked how come if they told me that the installation was all the same, there is a $600 diff per window when I get them installed but only $350 for material cost. No good answer on that!

Then I called a regular Andersen dealer, and he told me that I can get Andersen 400, and gave me the name of 2 local installers.

The other windows here are Pella, Harvey, ritewindows. Except for rite, all the other gusy are high pressure sale calls like RBA.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Should I just go the Andersen 400s and pay a local contractor about $150/window to put them in.

Windows on Washington

Re: very confused in Mass

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

What are you looking for?

Wood, Vinyl, Fiberglass, etc?

Full tear out vs. insert?

jbinbi

#3 Post by jbinbi »

I think insert replacement windows would be fine.

Don't really know if there is a diff between vynl, composite, wood. Sales pitches for each say how good that one is, and how poor the others are.

I am happy with the Andersens I have, they have a good rep amongst real estate brokers (who don't know windows, but do know what buyers like to hear).

I only know the windows that are advertised locally, andersen, rite, pella, harvey. However, I believe paying $1500 per window installed is outrageous for these. If I can get the Andersen 400s at 550, and $150 per window installed is that good?

Also, can anyone chime in on ritewindows?

superwy

#4 Post by superwy »

We just went through this process and have made our decision. I met with several good contractors in the area. We decided on the Sunshine Restorations, but met with an installer for Thermal Industries, Okna (I went to showroom and got ballpark estimate) and Harvey Tribute. Everything priced out similarly, though I think the Thermal Industries would have been the highest price. We are about $515 per window installed with 14 double hung, 1 slider over the kitchen sink and 3 basement hoppers, for a total of just over $8,500. All the dealers had good references, write ups on Angie's list, etc. and were licensed and insured. I am happy to give you any info on our search process if it helps.

Kim

jbinbi

#5 Post by jbinbi »

Kim,

Thanks for the info. Where are you located? I never heard of Okna or thermal industries.

EcoStar Remodeling

#6 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Kim means Sunrise not Sunshine. :lol:

Excellent choice Kim.

jbinbi

#7 Post by jbinbi »

appreiciate your responses, but means nothing to me.

sunrise or sunshine. Is this a window manufacturer? If so, do they sell direct, only thru installers, etc.

EcoStar Remodeling

#8 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Most of the better quality window manufacturers do not sell directly to homeowners or handymen. If you want a good vinyl window that you can buy without going through a dealer, then I'd suggest looking at Simonton. It's going to be about the best you can do. Although Simonton's aren't top eschelon windows, it is a pretty decent window for the money.

jbinbi

#9 Post by jbinbi »

thank you. simonton was one of the windows that home depot installs to compete with RBA.

It seems from your name that you are a contractor? If so, what is your general impression on Andersen windows? (not renewal, but the wood series 400)

EcoStar Remodeling

#10 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

You can usually get a better price and a better install by going through a local Simonton dealer. They carry the same windows sold through HD in Home Services. The Andersen 400 window is not my favorite but as long as you are willing to perform the maintenence on it, such as cauking, it should be fine.

jbinbi

#11 Post by jbinbi »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:You can usually get a better price and a better install by going through a local Simonton dealer. They carry the same windows sold through HD in Home Services. The Andersen 400 window is not my favorite but as long as you are willing to perform the maintenence on it, such as cauking, it should be fine.
appreciate your help. What do think is a ball park of per window on install (I am in Mass.) Assuming old window frames are in good condition, square, etc.

EcoStar Remodeling

#12 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Sorry, I never comment on price unless it seems very high or too low to be real. Best advice is to get a couple of estimates and some references. Places like Angies list are also good resources for finding a good contractor.