I need some guidance, please

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
pinkturtles99

I need some guidance, please

#1 Post by pinkturtles99 »

We live in Illinois and bought a house that we are giong to majorly remodeling. I've been researching windows. Our architect likes Marvin best but I think they are out of our price range. He also said that Pella Architect and Designer series' are good. He didn't mention Anderson. Our contractor installs Pella usually and has them in his house. I don't think I want the Proline. We are getting wood interior windows.

Here is what I am wrestling with:

We want to have maple trim around the windows and maple interior doors, all stained. We will order unfinished windows. Pella does not come in maple. Andersons 400 series and A-series do. Our architect said he prefers aluminium clad over vinyl clad. Pella have aluminum cladding, Andersen have vinyl cladding. I'm concerned that if I get Pella windows, the stained pine will look weird with the maple trim. I certainly don't want pine trim and I have my heart set on maple trim because of the look of the grain being close to cherry. I know that pine and maple take stains differently, even if conditioned beforehand (I tested this out on pieces of pine and maple at Home Depot). Then there's the cladding issue...if aluminum cladding is better, than I get Pella but don't have the option of maple wood for the interior of the windows. If I get Andersen to get the maple wood interior, then I have to have vinyl cladding. I'm really stuck.

randy

Re: I need some guidance, please

#2 Post by randy »

I'd recommend finding a way to get Marvin in the budget. There just isn't another wood brand that compares well. Their fit, finish, and overall build quality is heads and shoulders above the rest.

I agree with your architect, vinyl clad wood is a horrible idea, and should be avoided altogether. Pella is overrated, and their success is more attributable to good marketing than good products, IMO.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#3 Post by Window4U (IL) »

The Okna 800 (Envirostar) comes with an artificial maple laminate surface on the interior ...that might work for you? It is a natural look, not a stained look.
It would probably be a lot less than the wooden window alternative.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

At this point, I would say Marvin Infinity with Everwood or that Envirostar 800 is very nice.

ranger

#5 Post by ranger »

windows4u just gave a great alternative. the okna 800 is very real looking and extremely durable. we use it alot in older homes with customers who are intetested in maintaining the integrity of an older home. you also get the benefit of having one of the most energy efficient windows available.
i would at the very least, contact the okna dealer in your area and look at it. ask about the various hardware options as well.

just4lsa

OKNA Enviro-Star 400 Series

#6 Post by just4lsa »

I have read positive reviews for the OKNA Enviro-Star 800 Series, but we are considering the 400 series over the Pella 350 series. We have 28 windows plus 2 sliders, and will be replacing the windows in stages over the next few years. Has anyone reviewed the 400 series? I am nearing the "analysis paralysis" phase of window shopping! Help anyone?

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

pinkturtles, if you are anywhere near Chicagoland, I'd highly recommend talking to Window4u. You just need to click that "get quote" button to get in touch with him. He will steer you in the right direction without a doubt.