Installation Question

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rugmankc

Installation Question

#1 Post by rugmankc »

I am looking to do 6 windows 4 DH and 2 sliders

Looking at Sunrise Ultra and Seaway 400, may be the Encore line, at work and don't have info.

I think both are fairly eqivalent based on this forums comments and pricing is close with Sunrise 300.00 higher. Both install companies are family owned and have good ratings, not sure if I can mention companies.

The house is a wood 2 story with T1-11 siding and the windows are framed with 1X4 wood boards. My wife and I wanted the boards capped as is and would side house in spring. One company said they would prep windows and have flashing type metal come out from around wood window framing and would put siding over it in spring. Hence more weather proof. One would put a J channel on that the siding would slide in to. This would butt up to the 1X4 wood framing around the windows now. Both said they could replace only the window and not do the capping if we wanted to wait till spring and get a better match on capping to siding accent color. And we may do shutters instead of 1X4 vinyl capping.

When asked for a price reduction if not capping one company said 250.00 for the 5 windows that have wood framing and one said no price reduction as they would need to do some type of capping/trim anyway. Sounded like the one just wanted to pad profit--maybe I am wrong

If we don't cap the wood frames, what must be done to assure a good seal aound the wood framed windows and be able to take the siding in spring?

Hope this makes sense,

Ken
Last edited by rugmankc on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rugmankc

Re: Installation Question

#2 Post by rugmankc »

Well, I guess my question was too vague.

I will probably go with All Seal in Dayton Ohio

Sunrise UltaU windows

6 windows--but 2 are larger sliders as mentioned above

At 5k price is higher than other bids, company has good reviews. Other bid was for Seaway 400 windows. I know the Sunrise are good per comments here

Any final thoughts for me?

Will probably have them cap the 1X4 wood fromes around the windows as originally planned. It can always be taken off if we side up to window itself or want shutters.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

Sunrise is the superior window, imo. That being said, the price may be a little on the high side... Obviously, that is subject to market, option content, installation type, etc.

rugmankc

#4 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks,
They are considered high. But were only 300 more than the Seaway.

No BBB complaints and all A reviews on Angies list.

I could work on price with them a little.

Ken

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

If you are doing siding in the Spring, I would go with a new construction with and proper sill/jamb flashing now.

When the siding is ready to go up, the housewrap can tie into that and finish off the install.

rugmankc

#6 Post by rugmankc »

Yeah, that's my dilemna. That's also what All Seal wants to do. If we just replace some trim/panels and re-paint instead of reside with vinyl, what is best thing to do now. I thought if we cap the wood framing, it would look nice now and can be taken off and made ready for siding in spring.

My actual window count is actually 4 casement and one DR that is two casement side by side and a 4X8 LR slider with the two sliders on each side. I would say more like 8 windows as far as total sq inches goes. They just said they are counting it as 6 windows. Even using 8, that is 631.00 a window.

I'd like to it all windows/siding. But, that is probably another 10k on good siding for maybe 1800 to 2000 sf.

This is the best company I can find outside of a really good GC. But, don't know of any locally. I am sure there are. The GC would probably be less money.

Decisions------???????

Ken

rugmankc

#7 Post by rugmankc »

Do you guys see any long term issues with sliders that tilt in? Sunrises UltraU does.

Also, I have the 5050.00 quote for the Sunrise and 4322.00 for Softlite Barrington--no foam center and didn't see specs in brochure--will google

Stopped by Pella and saw their Encompass vinyl window-no foam but steel reinforced sash, avanced balanced system, fully cured glass sealant for no fogging. Only 3.33 r-Factor compared to 7.14 Sunrise. Guess you could get them foam filled.

Was told preliminarly 500.00 a window by Pella--still think I have equivalent of 8 not the actual 6 because of DR and LR windows. It is a Pella store. May need an estimate unless they are poor windows--Pella's low end?

Any thoughts,

Ken

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Pellas vinyl windows are low end..

Im not a big fan of tilt-in sliders from any manufacturer: the tend to have more service issues, leak air, and generally they are ugly imo.

Lastly, they one thing that i'll give credit to pella on here is being honest about their r-value/u-value. The sunrise is NOT an r7 unless it is a cog (center of glass) rating. Generally this rating is (cog) is used by shady sales people who try to trick consumers. Converted properly, that window should have an r value in the mid 3's.... I would however suggest looking at total unit u-value for comparison.

rugmankc

#9 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks HomeSealed,

I'll forget about the Pella's--no good info on web for them

The 7.14 is in their brouchure. It says per linear inch in parenthesis.

Now my decision is if the 700.00 more for the Sunrise is worth it--

rugmankc

#10 Post by rugmankc »

I guess to be more specific looking at brochure the windows are the Restorations UltraU vss

You guys may have already knew that--

Ken

EcoStar Remodeling

#11 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

rugmankc wrote:I guess to be more specific looking at brochure the windows are the Restorations UltraU vss

You guys may have already knew that--

Ken

You are reading the brochure incorrectly. The section that refers to an R-factor of 7.14 is refering to the insulated frame only. They are not trying to mislead at all. The comparison chart compares the frames only. If you look on the next page they accurately state the overall U-factor of .26-.29 depending on the window style.

rugmankc

#12 Post by rugmankc »

Gothca

Seems the Barrington are well respected, although I can't find a lot of info. U factor also seems to be in the .29 range

May need to relook at them in showroom and play with each

I like Sunrise UltraU but 700.00 is alot atm

Are they that much better?

EcoStar Remodeling

#13 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

The Barrington compares very well with other windows in it's class as a budget window. It doesn't have the refinement of the other Soft-lite windows. A good comparison would be with the Sunrise Essentials or the Simonton 5050/Bronze.

rugmankc

#14 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks EcoStar

We'll look at the aesthetics of each. Do you all think the UltraU will perform that much better as in utility savings to justify price. Or, will there be no significant difference in new monthly utility savings. I guess that is what it comes down to. As, all the brochures make each window sound great. We keep house at 68 almost year round.

We never really the open windows, so construction as it relates to breakage is not an issue. Just money savings between the two is more important.

Ken

EcoStar Remodeling

#15 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

If you put the 2 windows side by side and compare features, you will see that the Sunrise is obviously a more refined window. Personally, I like the Maxx-Edge stainless steel spacers as opposed to the Intercept, and before someone piles on, there's nothing wrong with Intercept. Performance-wise you won't really see any difference in utility bills and you aren't exactly going to have any drafts from the Barrington, the Essentials or the Restorations. We are a northern virginia dealer for both Sunrise and Soft-lite but I like the Sunrise a little better. Some people buy Kia's and some buy Lexus's, some buy Faded Glory and some buy Levis, Some buy Cadillac and some buy Acura's. Different strokes for different folks.