Need advice on window selection

Post or read through reviews of replacement windows and fenestration products.
kinde

Need advice on window selection

#1 Post by kinde »

I have been getting estimates on 17 windows and a slider. I'm down to deciding between Earthwise -Wind Stopper-dualtech577 with a U of .20 and SHG of.20 and Akna 500 series with a U of .25 and SHG of .27. Also have quote for Sunrise Restoration window but is $3,000 more and is really more than I can afford at this time. In wintertime the wind out of the north ravages my house and it is extremely cold. Thanks for your expert opinions.
Last edited by kinde on Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Windows on Washington

Re: Need advice on window selection

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

kinde wrote:I have been getting estimates on 17 windows and a slider. I'm down to deciding between Earthwise -Window stopper-dualtech577 with a U of .20 and SHG of.20 and Akna 500 series with a U of .25 and SHG of .27. Also have quote for Sunrise Restoration window but is $3,000 more and is really more than I can afford at this time. In wintertime the wind out of the north ravages my house and it is extremely cold. Thanks for your expert opinions.

Where is the home located? That will have a definite impact on the recommendations and window performance qualities that are appropriate for your climate region.

kinde

#3 Post by kinde »

I live in northern Delaware, very close to a river.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Comparing apples to apples, the Okna window is a better product than the Earthwise window.

How did the prices shake out?

You certainly would not be hurting your overall performance if you upgraded the Okna window to triple pane as well.

kinde

#5 Post by kinde »

The prices were almost the same, even-though the earthwise people are throwing in some extra's. Eventhough I would love to do the triple pane, I cannot afford to go higher at this time. Why did you say the earthwise window was not as good? Just curious.
I also had Window World come out and they had the best pricing all around, but I don't know how their windows stacks up to the other companies.

Delaware Mike

#6 Post by Delaware Mike »

I'm not sure who the OKNA dealer is that you're dealing with? But I have an idea who the other 2 outfits are just from knowing the area really well. Slocumb/Newtown doesn't impress me with their fit and finish on their products. The Restorations dealer in the area has some serious overhead and that's an expensive window for them to purchase. I wouldn't even consider Window World, Window Wholesalers, or Champion.

kinde

#7 Post by kinde »

The people that came out to give me a price on the sunrise window were the ones that recommended the okna, the okna's were cheaper by several thousand.

Windows on Washington

#8 Post by Windows on Washington »

Both windows are good and I see no competitive advantage to either that would be worth additional investment.

Delaware Mike

#9 Post by Delaware Mike »

kinde wrote:The people that came out to give me a price on the sunrise window were the ones that recommended the okna, the okna's were cheaper by several thousand.
Thought so. They utilize the 500 as a drop window. One of my good friends works for them as a sales rep. Good company to do business with. The other outfit if I'm guessing correctly is very, very close to you that carries the Slocumb/Newtown products.

kinde

#10 Post by kinde »

I'm not sure what you mean with a drop window. Is it like bait and switch. I know in the business you're used to this language, but I am clueless about what you are talking about. Also can how come Delaware Mike knows so much about windows and dealers in this area?
Can someone tell me what is outstanding about the okna 500 series? The windows were mentioned as an afterthought.
How can you figure out which ones of you on this board work in your area and come out and give you an estimate?

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

Drop window simply may mean that Advanced's business model is set up to provide the very best vinyl windows that they can offer in a certain price range, however not everyone's budget or home warrants that level of window. In that case rather than just loose a prospect they will simply also offer window that costs less for them to purchase and will have less bells and whistles. Usually the performance of the lesser window will be lower than that of their flagship window. Their premium products are similar to mine in that they can offer the best from Soft-Lite, Sunrise, OKNA, and Simonton if needed.

Delaware is such a small area and I have several friends that work at different outfits. I tend to fly under the radar since I do almost everything myself with my carpenter. I am relentless in knowing what everyone else in my area is carrying window wise. I need a life outside of windows, clearly.........

Sounds like you're on the right track.

kinde

#12 Post by kinde »

Can I ask you to come and give me an estimate or is that not kosher since you didn't answer my question earlier about knowing who does work in the area where you live.

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

Well if I was trolling for business that would be a big violation. However, I'll contact board moderators tomorrow first thing in the AM and have them reactivate my "get a quote" icon.

kinde

#14 Post by kinde »

I left my information. Did you receive it?

Delaware Mike

#15 Post by Delaware Mike »

Not yet, but it should come through at some point today.