Should I wrap the window trim or not???

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
HomeSealed

Re: Should I wrap the window trim or not???

#16 Post by HomeSealed »

rugmankc wrote:
I will question the two companies or whoever I go with on the foam vs insulation. They said foam will not keep a tight seal. I trust you guys.
I'd probably run from anybody who would make such a ridiculous statement. It is one thing to say that fg insulation is adequate--which it is when used properly, but nobody in their right mind could say that closed-cell low-expansion foam does not provide a superior seal.

Windows on Washington

#17 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Red flag indeed.

rugmankc

#18 Post by rugmankc »

I will ask about that. If it is so obvious, I may have misunderstood.

Still think there should be a discount if no capping of 1X4 wood trims.

Thanks,

Ken

EcoStar Remodeling

#19 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Not necessarily. We include capping in the price. If the customer doesn't want it, that's fine, but we would not reduce the price.

I have never heard a good reason not to cap except when someone is just being cheap. Why would you want to risk getting rotted wood?

rugmankc

#20 Post by rugmankc »

It was a question of not having any wood there when we side in spring/fall. Or not siding and repainting house. Not about the money. Just wanted to be fair both ways. One company said they would take 250 off so just thought that was the way it was. Last nite we decided to cap anyway.

Thanks,

ken

rugmankc

#21 Post by rugmankc »

Well, I am down to Sunrise Ultra U, the more expensive of the two bids I got from one company. The other was the Barrington, probably their baseline--they didn't didn't give me the number. But no foam filler in frame. Will probably do back half of house now and front in spring. That way we get the better window and split cost over 8 months. Will wrap the wood trim now around windows and prep it for siding. I think my T1-11 is too bad to keep painting and replacing panels and trim boards.

Last bid will be from a good rep company on Polaris Ultra Weld. Owner will come and his brother installs. They are a well respected local remodeling company. Great on Angie's List. I will ask about low density foam vs insulation around windows and see what he says. The other co's sales rep did confirm insulation and said foam can expand and crack window frame. As a layman, I would assume it could if too much is put in. But, not sure.

I am leaning toward the Polaris and and the individually owned company if they match or beat the other one in price. I don't know if a SR Restoration UltraU is more expensive than the Polaris or not. Will see.

ken

HomeSealed

#22 Post by HomeSealed »

rugmankc wrote: The other co's sales rep did confirm insulation and said foam can expand and crack window frame. As a layman, I would assume it could if too much is put in. But, not sure.

ken
That's just sales-guy bull. I can't imagine any foam actually cracking a frame. If anything, the wrong kind of foam can bow a frame and cause some problems, but with the low expansion stuff you can fill it right up with no worries. We have used it on every installation for the past few years (thousands of windows) with not one single issue.

rugmankc

#23 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks HomeSealed

I reread your earlier post and now understand you can use the insulation, but I guess better, more complete fill with the foam.

randy

#24 Post by randy »

I agree with HomeSealed. We have been using minimal expanding foam for the past 6 or 7 years with no problems whatsoever.

rugmankc

#25 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks guys

Will have a decision soon

rugmankc

#26 Post by rugmankc »

one other question

wife can't get out now to look and from the brochures and as mentioned by another member the polaris do look bulky. or in our opinion have wide frames and restrict view. this is mentioned in the sunrise restoration brochure. you guys think the polaris are that bulky and view restrictive. i do need to re-look, but wife needs a few days to go back out.

Also, and I think I asked this, but if I go with the Barrington which seems to have fair ratings but no foam inside rails, will I see an appreciable difference in energy savings compared to SR restorations.

ken

rugmankc

#27 Post by rugmankc »

Did get out to see Polaris UltraWeld anyway. No where as fat looking as in brochure or Sunrise comp pics. Look nice and very smoooth opening and closing. Will get bid on 25th from local remodel company. The owner is coming out not salesperson. Don't think they have any. Am leaning this way as I get a better feeling with Mike the owner and he has had the company for 30 years and very well respected. I think he can help us better with the design side also. They use Mastic Quest siding when we get to that point.

Windows on Washington

#28 Post by Windows on Washington »

Good to hear.

Sounds like that company might be a good fit for you.

It is a solid window.

rugmankc

#29 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks,

I just started mine own thread on Polaris specific questions to confirm my decision. Didn't like keeping old ones open.

Ken