Polaris UltraWeld

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
rugmankc

Re: Polaris UltraWeld

#16 Post by rugmankc »

Thought about the rigidness

SR UltraU .28

Polaris .30

I do think the SR is better window, but not that I need it or the actual dollars savings will be noticeable. Esp compared to my 24 year old builder grade aluminum.

Looking at my attch's on Thermal numbers, I need to ask which window I am getting priced. Single/Double and Suprems or XL.

All of a sudden I am more confused :(

Ken

ranger

#17 Post by ranger »

trust me, the polaris is a .29 with foam. they just dont have the nfrc stickers as of yet. also, polaris now offers a true stainless steel spacer similar to sunrise.
sunrise adds more foam to their window than polaris. both are very good windows and you cannot go wrong with either.

rugmankc

#18 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks ranger,

I re-emailed Polaris on it, since the brochure does show foam. Will ask dealer too. If my wife is ok with the frame thickness, will probably get them next Thursday when dealer comes out.

The frame thickness is important cause one window is a 3x3 over sink that she looks out to her island/arbor etc. Doesn't want the view too restricted. A women thing :)

Ken

Windows on Washington

#19 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am not sure that the SR is much, if any, of a better window. At a comparable U-factor (0.28 vs. 0.29) the rest of the data is equivalent with a slight nod to the UltraWeld.

You will be getting a great window regardless.

rugmankc

#20 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks WoW,

I got a second confirming email from Polaris CS that foam is an option for the MAIN only chamber. Is there a link that disputes that. Will ask dealer next Thursday. Maybe if the new stickers aren't out till 1 Jan they still have to say, no foam. I guess I would like the foam if for no other reason than rigidity on a 5X8.5ft slider. Just measured it. SR seems to have advantage there. Not sure if it is an issue, but it is a large window. Why the nod to Polaris WoW, if specs are slightly better with SR and they do have foam. Something with your installation experience?

Here is an example of my confusion and why so many seemingly redundant questions. My q's to Polaris CS get vague answers like on the foam. It took two specific, closed ended q's to find out, at least from CS, it is an upgrade. Assuming he is correct. The latest question was on Argon. And, I asked if Argon was standard on the UW. He replied "Correct, argon gas is included with low-e…". However, in brochure it says EnergySmart glass is standard, no argon. But, with Low-E upgrade, it is included. Saying "Correct" leads to believe it is in all their UW windows. This may also be an old brochure. Although copyright is 2010. I know I need to go over this with dealer. Just want to be informed as much as possible before we talk purchase.

BTW: You guys have been great at educating me. Windows are normally a one time purchase for folks who don't move a lot and hard to understand all the details/options accurately.

Ken

ranger

#21 Post by ranger »

polaris just added a true stainless steel spacer and some other options. although offered, some of the stuff(foam in frame) was not tested with the NFRC yet. therefore, if you get a window with a foam filled option, the extra point in Ufactor will not be reflected . that is why the dealer is telling you it makes no difference; although it brings the ufactor from a .30 to a .29.
the Polaris Ultra also has an air infiltration/leakage of .01. which is a tad better than the sunrise at .04. will you notice a real world difference from the two? probably not.
i would put either window in my home.

rugmankc

#22 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks ranger

Do you think no foam will effect the lower rail being 8.5 ft wide?

From a rigidity/support perspective.

ranger

#23 Post by ranger »

No..Polaris uses a thick outer wall on their extrusions for the Ultra. That's not going to warp. It's also a high grade vinyl.
That said, ask for reinforcement in the meeting rails as an added option. They offer it.
By the way, Polaris is one of the only window companies that actually reinforce the hinge and handle area's of their casement windows.

rugmankc

#24 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks again,

I will mention that to the dealer coming out Thursday

Ken

rugmankc

#25 Post by rugmankc »

Got my last estimate (Polaris UW with Foam filled chambers) for 6 windows although one big slider counts as two

4 dh
2 sliders one 4X6/one 5X8 approx

Same 5k as Restorations UltraU, thought Polaris might be less money

I like the Polaris guy better and broke all down, he would take off if no capping, Sunrise guy no discount

Got 14.3k to side with Mastic T3 for a two story, 1800sf house. Some brick on lower front

Then gave me 17.3k for all, plus 240.00 for 4 Mastic shutters.

I know you guys are siding pros, but do you think Polaris should be same as Sunrise, when Sunrise was thru a sales rep for company that also advertises, not the owner like Polaris.

Thanks,
Ken

ranger

#26 Post by ranger »

The only thing I can tell you is the Polaris ultra is a solid window. Comes down to which window and which company you like best.

rugmankc

#27 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks ranger

I guess I misunderstood somewhere that Sunrise was a step above and more expensive

Sunrise has a thinner profile, but I like the exterior look of the Polaris. Outside, outer perimeter is a little recessed and gives some depth to look.

As stated, like Polaris dealer better if all else equal.

Don't know if I want to step down to the Soft-Lite Barrington Ultra, although specs are good. I don't know if the $4300 quote on them included the Low-E Argon. U-Factor .26 with it. No foam.

May have to replace some trim and T-111 panels and paint. Not sure if 14k is in budget for siding. Maybe step down on siding.

HomeSealed

#28 Post by HomeSealed »

I think generally people like the Sunrise a little better than the Polaris, but the are in the same category imo. Price should be about the same for either. I'd really pick the dealer that you feel more comfortable with, and that you feel will do a higher quality install.

ranger

#29 Post by ranger »

The sunrise has a total UFactor of .28 whereas the Polaris Ultra is a .29 .
The sunrise has an air leakage rate of .04 while the Polaris Ultra is a tad better at .01 . I like both equally and performance wise we are splitting hairs.

rugmankc

#30 Post by rugmankc »

Thanks again--

May go with the Polaris and no capping for $4300 or there about

I'll do this cause may just get a contractor to replace bad trim/siding panels and paint. Can't justify 14k in siding at my age, and don't want cheap stuff. Really don't want to step down to a lower window either.