alside vs harvey vs pella vs what is really worth?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
alex

alside vs harvey vs pella vs what is really worth?

#1 Post by alex »

Hi there,

I am looking to replace 6 windows in my apartment. I have gotten 3 quotes, two for alside excalibur (each around $1700 with installation) an one for pella ($4500 with installation). The huge discrepancy in price made me think about what kind of a window alside is. My apartment is certainly not worth having $4500 windows installed, and i will not opt for that option. However, for the most part I am also a believer of "you get what you pay for". I just called one of the companies who quoted me for the alside windows and they told me that they could also offer me harvey windows. I am still waiting for their email with the quote. Can anyone give me any suggestions on quality vs price vs what is really worth. This is the first time I am confronted with the issue of having to replace windows so i am pretty much ignorant on the subject. I have been forced to replace them because last winter was horrific with freezing draft creeping through the windows, in addition to moisture trapped between the glass, which is present all year round. Again, my apartment is certainly not worth having $4500 windows installed, but I also, based on the reviews i have read about alside, don't think my apartment is worth such low quality windows.

Thank you.

randy

Re: alside vs harvey vs pella vs what is really worth?

#2 Post by randy »

First, tell us where you're located. That will help us know which brands might be available to you.

Also, is this a first, second, third story installation?

What is the exterior cladding material of your apartment - brick, siding, stucco?

Are you wanting white windows, tan windows, or some other color?

On the Pella quote, which Pella window line did you look at?

alex

#3 Post by alex »

Thank you for the reply.

We are in Boston, Mass and our apartment, which is on the first floor, has a brick exterior. The quote was for Pella white vinyl windows, standard, Nail Fin (2-11/16" OAW), 10 series.

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Tell me the quote of $4500 for 6 windows wasn't the Thermastar. If so that is an absolutely ridiculous price for a lower end window.

alex

#5 Post by alex »

I don't think so. The quote was for:

1: Non-Standard Size Vent / Fixed Sliding Window
Frame Size: 33 3/4 X 33 1/2
General Information: Standard, Vinyl, Nail Fin (2-11/16" OAW), 10 Series
Exterior Color / Finish: White
Interior Color / Finish: White Interior
Glass: Insulated Low E Advanced Argon Gas
Hardware Options: Standard Lock
Screen: Half Screen
Grille:
Wrapping Information: Perimeter Length = 135", Glazing Pressure = 100.

EcoStar Remodeling

#6 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Was it an all vinyl window? I know they have introduced the 350 series but I haven't had a chance to see it yet. Typically $750 per window is on the high side unless it's a difficult installation of an extremely high quality vinyl window. I don't know whether this falls into either of those catagories but, Pella hasn't had a history of producing high quality vinyl windows. In fact more and more consumers are complaining about the quality of Pella Windows in general.

I have heard that Harvey is a pretty decent window. It may be the way to go unless you feel like you want to shop a little more.

alex

#7 Post by alex »

It was all vinyl frames and the installation was going to be very straight forward. Thank you for the information.

EcoStar Remodeling

#8 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Have you considered looking at some of the brands the Pro's on here like?

alex

#9 Post by alex »

such as?

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

Gorell, Sunrise, Okna, Soft-Lite are a few of the good ones.

randy

#11 Post by randy »

We're trying to help you find a better product, that will come in between the two quotes you've received. There are much better windows, at a better price point than the Pella quote you received. Pella has great name recognition, and that's about it.

alex

#12 Post by alex »

I will look into those brands. But the only way for me to me a decision on the brand is by following your suggestions and/or looking up costumer reviews on those products. Honestly, I didn't think that there was such a wide selection in prices and quality and more importantly, costumer reviews/satisfaction. Certainly, from now on I will not think that a window is just a window. Thank you.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with all of the other comments. I have no knowledge of your market, however, based on what I see here and around other areas of the country, you should be able to get a product far better than those you were quoted on in the $3000 range, give or take. I'd also agree that the Harvey is probably the best of those 3, however, I'd have serious concerns about a company that was going to install any window for under $300 a pop. Cheap product+cheap installation= all kinds of problems.

alex

#14 Post by alex »

I agree.