Selecting Vinyl Replacement Windows.

A place to talk about the Window Industry
raynellp

Selecting Vinyl Replacement Windows.

#1 Post by raynellp »

I would like the best vinyl replacement window for the best price. Does anyone have suggestions. I have an installer, but I am making the decision on windows and purchasing them. (Energy efficient, with sloping sill, no grids)

Windows on Washington

Re: Selecting Vinyl Replacement Windows.

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Sky is the limit.

Where is the home located? Window availability and recommendations are somewhat regionally subjective?

ranger

#3 Post by ranger »

The fact that you claim to already have an installer but still need to ask what are the best windows is a red flag to me. I imagine your installer is nothing more than a handyman. Do yourself a favor and save yourself a lot of money and aggregation by hiring a company that has a focus on high quality window brands and installations.

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

ranger wrote:The fact that you claim to already have an installer but still need to ask what are the best windows is a red flag to me. I imagine your installer is nothing more than a handyman. Do yourself a favor and save yourself a lot of money and aggregation by hiring a company that has a focus on high quality window brands and installations.

+1. Excellent advice.

raynellp

#5 Post by raynellp »

Yes, I guess that it does appear that way. Unfortunately, I have met with 3 different companies who have their own installers, I have been to 3 different places that sell windows in addition to the reps for the 3 "reliable" companies that I have met with. All have the "best" window, and there is 5 to 6 thousand $'s difference in the estimates that I get.

I have also spent hours and hours researching windows on line and reviewing printed literature. I have a file about 3 inches think named my "window" file. And I still have the same question..... "What is the best window for the best price?"

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

There is no concrete answer to your question. Generally, the most highly regarded vinyl windows are Okna, Gorell, Sunrise, and Softlite, but pricing can vary wildly as you've already seen. This is for many reasons such as: business model, overhead, volume, cost of materials and labor, etc, etc. Most windows are actually pretty pretty close to each other in cost, it is all of the extra stuff mentioned above that will dictate how much a dealer sells them for.
So to answer your question, look for the products above, and get some quotes. Then you can decide which offers the best value.

EcoStar Remodeling

#7 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

raynellp wrote:Yes, I guess that it does appear that way. Unfortunately, I have met with 3 different companies who have their own installers, I have been to 3 different places that sell windows in addition to the reps for the 3 "reliable" companies that I have met with. All have the "best" window, and there is 5 to 6 thousand $'s difference in the estimates that I get.

I have also spent hours and hours researching windows on line and reviewing printed literature. I have a file about 3 inches think named my "window" file. And I still have the same question..... "What is the best window for the best price?"

Unless you are going to purchase through a window company, the best window you will be able to buy is probably the Simonton Reflections 5500 series. Better manufacturers do not sell to individual homeowners.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Plygem Premium, Softlite Imperial Pro, Sunrise Essentials, Gorell 5300/5100, are are sold through distribution in my area and are all better than the Simonton imo. Not saying that the Simonton is bad bad any means.... I guess my point is that the availability of product through distribution channels can wildly vary depending on location.

Bill

#9 Post by Bill »

Simonton is good suggestion none of the windows listed are better than the 5500 the Gorell 5300 would be an equal

HomeSealed

#10 Post by HomeSealed »

Bill wrote:Simonton is good suggestion none of the windows listed are better than the 5500 the Gorell 5300 would be an equal
I'm sorry bill, I have to strongly disagree. I don't think think that the Simonton is bad at all, but I stand behind my contention that the others are as good or better. I'd encourage consumers to view, touch, and operate all of them and judge for themselves. :)