anything decent in the $350 installed range?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
1sty

anything decent in the $350 installed range?

#1 Post by 1sty »

I have been reading a ton of threads now and I am coming to the conclusion that the knowledgable folks on the board seem to have a cost of entry of around $400+ per window (Gorell from Rite) installed otherwise the window tends to be called crappy to the point that they would not have it installed.

I am contacting contractors in my area to replace 11 windows and 1 sliding door and was excited to hear the first quote....then I got on here and saw the reviews just DESTROYING Alside Excalibur. So I am not even going to consider those. The contractor was looking for $279 installed per window. The other guys have Harvey but those don't seem to be liked much more than the Alside.

So I am hoping there is something under the Gorells that is decent.
I was looking for something double hung, keeps out the cold air, and that qualified for the tax rebate.
We are likely selling the house in spring and I am not living with the original windows another winter. They leak cold air like crazy and there is etchings from condensation in each one.
However where I am selling I don't want to put in top of the line stuff and at the same time although I do not believe in Karma, I fear it. So I don't want to put in a piece of crap that someone else is stuck living with.

ranger

Re: anything decent in the $350 installed range?

#2 Post by ranger »

You are NOT going to get a quality install or quality product in the 350 range, thats just very unrealistic. If you do, I can guarantee that you will be back on this forum asking why your windows are leaking and warping. You are going to have to increase your budget into the 400's at least for anything considered quality. That's an ok window with a very basic install.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

If you can get Gorell's installed for $400 an opening I'd recommend that you jump on that deal. That is one if the top choices at a price that would be considered what is minimally acceptable.
Toss the Excalibur quote. Harvey is better, but you really can't pass up that deal on Gorell.

1sty

#4 Post by 1sty »

I got the $400 from Rite Windows website.
RW 5100 Double-Pane Double-hung / Energy Star® / U-Factor .30 $408 per
Maybe I am mistaken and Rite window is not a Gorell?

Here is the link:
http://www.ritewindow.com/pricelist.html

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

I would not put too much faith in those prices until get a formal quote. Most times there are add-ons, fees, etc.

toddinmn

#6 Post by toddinmn »

To stay in that range you probally would have to skip on window wrapping and have a basic insert install. May also have to go with a 2nd tier window such as a Soft-Lite Pro or Simonton Prism Platinum or the next series down.There are plenty of other good windows besides the one's I mentioned as well.

1sty

#7 Post by 1sty »

anything considered decent in the Harvey line?

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Harvey is a respected manufacturer, generally considered mid-level. The question is what is the quote on those? If it is anywhere close to where the Gorell comes out, then your choice is simple. If it is in that $279 -$300 range, than while it sounds like a good deal, it is very scary. It really just is not feasible to install anything decent under $400 on the low side. Even for a lower end window, most companies are going to pay around $200 for the window and materials (coil, caulk, foam, nails, shims, etc). Add $100 for installation (which is around where the cost will come out all things considered whether it is an employee or sub crew) and you are at $300 before ANY overhead or profit is figured in.... and that is on a basic install, no options, mid-line product. Start adding options, woodwork, lead-safe procedures, etc, and that is why the general price range for a window installed will be in the $400-$800 range, with $400 really as a bare bones minimum. If guys are doing it for less than that, they are either 1) selling an inferior product, 2) giving an inferior installation, (or both), or 3) they are desperate for work and probably in serious danger of closing their doors.

1sty

#9 Post by 1sty »

what your saying makes total sense and thank you so much for all the input on this.

The one factor that a uneducated buyer like me and I have seen others with the same issue is that if the bulk of the contractors work is these cheep windows and those windows come with cut corners on the install and are a garbage product...then how are these guys still A+ BBB rated after 10 years in business installing these things?

I would think if they put in windows that bad that there would be complaints galore but there are not. In any event, if it can go wrong, it usually does for me so the Excalibur are out but it looks like the Harvey Tribute double hung will fit the bill. I am meeting that contractor tonight so I will have numbers then. Rite is coming out next week.

I have been unsuccessful in finding an OKNA or Sunrise dealer around me to get a quote so it will be Harvey VS Rite window.

ranger

#10 Post by ranger »

Most people don't complain because they usually have low expectations. Harvey tribute is mid grade but not in the same league as gorell 5100.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

ranger wrote:Most people don't complain because they usually have low expectations. Harvey tribute is mid grade but not in the same league as gorell 5100.
Not only that, but an A+ BBB rating does not mean that there are not a bunch of complaints.
1sty, you may not know this, but the BBB pays it's bills with the paid membership dues of companies. They give a company EVERY benefit of the doubt before it downgrades their rating. Now, I do believe that the BBB has some value to consumers, as it will protect you from scam artists, etc., but a company that sells cheap stuff cheaply, can still have a great rating. If you look deeper into each company's profile, you'll see how many complaints there were, generally what they were about, and how they were resolved. I can tell you there is one company in my area who has over 30 complaints in the last couple years and still has an A+! I guess my point is, that the BBB can be a useful resource, but you have to look deeper than just the ratings, and check out other sources as well, like Angie's List, google reviews, etc. for a more complete picture.

1sty

#12 Post by 1sty »

I got the Harvey quote for classic windows and it came in right where I wanted the price to be at $350 installed with all install. They have to get back to me tomorrow on the Tribute as it is a rare unit to sell for them.

I am certainly leaning to this contractor as guy that came out immediately identified the original windows, told me several things I never knew about them, knew how to best install the new ones as he is the owner and one of the crew. He said they would install from the outside, the Alside guy thought they could do it from the inside) He also did not hesitate to mention wrapping and capping them as required for a proper install of the window. Then he looked over all the sills to make sure they were sound and wrote up the quote to repair the ones that were rotted.

Overall I felt like I would be spending less money on the window but more on the install where it should be at this price point to get the overall better product. I also trust this contractor to not cut corners.

EcoStar Remodeling

#13 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

You are definitely on the right track. Installation is an extremely important aspect. The best window in the world can be your worst nightmare if it's not installed by someone knowledgable and experienced.

1sty

#14 Post by 1sty »

Rite window quoted as their website stated.
$463/window installed for the double pane Gorell 5100s wrapped and capped.
$25 per sill they need to repair if they run into that.