Patio doors, what to do?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
fprefect

Patio doors, what to do?

#1 Post by fprefect »

Have a replacement patio door installation going in a rough opening for an existing bow window in Pittsburgh. Just a shade under 10' wide, standard height. The #1 concern is reliability and longevity, #2 is open glass area, #3 is energy efficiency. Had some interest in a 4-panel "french slider" configuration, but I don't know how expensive that will be.

Any recommendations as to top brands and lines for this usage, concerns in structural reliability, etc? From what I can tell fiberglass would be the material of choice, but it is somewhat rare, and people are also scared of vinyl for this size of an install. I am a bit worried about wood for this installation as I expect to have the house for quite some time. Thanks!

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Patio doors, what to do?

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Sunrise makes a really nice patio door. It uses fiberglass reinforcements and foam insulation so you shouldn't be concerned with durability. In addition, it has a lifetime transferable warranty that covers everything.

Expect to pay a premium price due to a custom size. If anyone is scared of vinyl for that size, it says a lot about the quality of the door they sell.

Some other brands to consider would be Okna and Softlite. Should be able to get any of these 3 in Pittsburgh.

TheWindowNerd

#3 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Soft-lite makes a stock 3 panel 9', or they can make a special 3 panel 10'.
You can basically do the same with Okna. Neither has a 4 panel center by parting unit.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

4-panel French style = $$$

I think you will be served just fine by any of the three manufacturers mentioned.

fprefect

#5 Post by fprefect »

Thanks for the advice, all. Just to clarify, no one I talked to really seemed to do much with vinyl at all, so I am seeking some specific dealer recommendations from the various companies. FWIW I find the process to be somewhat frustrating, as I can't even get ballpark figures easily on what particular things may cost. I understand there's going to be haggling down the road but it feels like flying blind.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Premium vinyl will have no problems, however, I'm not sure how much luck you'll have finding a 4 panel french slider in vinyl. I've used Pella Designer series, which are very nice, but big $$$.
On pricing, it is very hard to say depending on many factors. It could be anywhere from $5-$15k ( with those being extremes).

TheWindowNerd

#7 Post by TheWindowNerd »

OK. We are all in agreement that premium vinyl will do a great job.
As for configuration:
10' 4 panel by parting, maybe Sunrise has it, though Okna and soft-lite do not. Pella and Andersen both have it in some of their models.
9' 3 panel, you can find in just about any mfg, this option will be less costly and provide the most visible glass.
Last edited by TheWindowNerd on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.