In the process of getting quotes/estimates

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
bjlong

In the process of getting quotes/estimates

#1 Post by bjlong »

I live in Northern Va 20171 Zip. Looking to replace builders wood windows double hung with vinyl replacement windows plus capping. Number of windows installed depends on price, looking at 20 on low side and 28 on max. What is a good brand for area and price. 6 windows over 101 ci needed, the rest are under. Found that quotes use that measurement to price out per window. Have 2 estimates one with Alside (but don't have a warm and fuzzy about them) and another by Thermal Industries. Alside cheaper price overall. I'm still looking. Any suggestions on contractors or products for this area? :?:

TheWindowNerd

Re: In the process of getting quotes/estimates

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

The products you have mentioned are poor to fair.
The best guy for you to contact is WOW. You see lots of his post helping many people. Click on the "get a quote" button in space.
He has great products and a wide range.
He is an excellent person.
He will not be the cheapest, but you will get what you pay for.

randy

#3 Post by randy »

Windows on Washington is indeed your best option.

Here's a thread he's active on. The "get a quote" button under his name will get you to him.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5041

HomeSealed

#4 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with Anthony on both counts... Both of those products are held in low-regard, and I'd also highly recommend Windows on Washington. You can find him commenting in this post: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5050 .
I did not see any pricing given in your post, but expect that a high quality product may run more. You would be better served to break your project into phases using a better product if budget comes into play.

bjlong

#5 Post by bjlong »

SO far not so good. I'm on a budget and the WOW folks and Window Man are too much. Nice products, but they charge by the window and then add on install, any features, delivery and disposal, etc. I was trying to get 28 windows (prices quoted are 15 K and up) . The quotes for getting for the minimum amount of windows (20) is still over my budget!

Any help on an installer in the No. Va area with a decent window- mid grade and reasonable price would be appreciated? Give a brand and name and I'll try it.

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

We line item the window, options, and install prices separately for two reasons.

1. We would like customer to see what options cost what so that they can see a more accurate representation of window, installation, option, wood rot, and other associated costs of the project. A lump sum representation does that do a very good job of being transparent about all the costs and detail what the customer is getting for their dollar.

2. The other reason is that the IRS required a separation between labor and qualifying materials for the tax credit preparation.

There is quite a variance in the window replacement universe between products, installation, and install quality. We have several products in our window line up and if the window quoted did not fit your requirements, we have some other lines that will still provide you with far superior performance to the Alside or Thermal Industries lines and our Lifetime Warranty installation.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

What you are describing bj (install + disposal, etc) is pretty common stuff. You are gonna pay for it one way or another, its just that some guys break it down while others give one all-inclusive price. I personally do the breakdown as well. I have to say, I don't think you'll find a better value than WoW can provide... Have you thought about breaking the project into phases? Or perhaps he has another option?...... This board is littered with posts of consumers who got cheap windows to fit their budget, only to have nothing but problems after the fact... Just my $.02

randy

#8 Post by randy »

HomeSealed is right on. It's better to do a partial job this year and the rest next year than to drop to an inferior window with subpar installation.

We do not separate labor from materials in our proposals, but that's just the preference of the contractor and does not change the final price tag.

EcoStar Remodeling

#9 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

You have a choice between a low price and a quality product. If it's something going in your home for the next 20 or so years, I'd opt for a quality product. The short term price is something you will get over in time. A poor quality product is something you will have to live with forever. Herndon is a pretty nice area, why throw a cheap window in a nice house?

ranger

#10 Post by ranger »

Exactly. If you live in a nice area, why throw something cheap in it. Have some pride in your home. Don't you want people to compliment your home? With all the info on this site and others, you still seem inclined to install low quality. I just don't get it.