PLEEEEASE HELP !!:)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Momma H

PLEEEEASE HELP !!:)

#1 Post by Momma H »

HI. So we are currently looking into new windows. The salesman offered us the "excalibur fusion welded vinyl series ) casement windows, we have about 15 windows (really 7 but a few are very large, 3 parts) His quote was 5000 assuming we commit to replacing siding on home. Told me he is not making $ on the windows;). We had a high end company come out who offeres a mixture of wood and vinyl that has 'made to last,' as their windows are custom made.. with a whopping 14, 000 price tag!! Holy mother of difference, basically told us if we go with the alside vinyl windows, we will be looking to replace windows every 3 to 5 years!! I need advice, as I am absolutely clueless!! Any suggestions, tips?

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: PLEEEEASE HELP !!:)

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I'm assuming you had Renewal by Andersen give you a price. yes you are right, they are over priced and probably perform on the same level as the cheaper Excaliburs.
Any salesman who told you he wan't making mooney on the windows is either a liar or a fool. I'd vote for the former. I would recommend getting a few more estimates. Your experience so far hasn't been very good.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I agree with Eco, get more quotes. The Exacalibur is generally regarded as subpar, and the Renewal, while an improvement imo, is overpriced. Look at Okna, Gorell, Sunrise, Softlite as high end windows, Simonton, PlyGem(Great Lakes), and Milgard are worth a look as well.

TheWindowNerd

#4 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I agree with both of the pros.

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

anthony wrote:I agree with both of the pros.
Make it 3 in agreement.

Momma H

#6 Post by Momma H »

Ok, so after reading so many negative reviews, I voiced my concerns with our contractor and he offered me the simonton 5500 casement window series as an alternate, comparable in price. I asked for at least one reference of a happy customer with the alside casement windows also. I have read quite a few negative reviews on the simonton as well, but related more to the installation.

EcoStar Remodeling

#7 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Is this the same contractor who lied about not making money on the windows?

Momma H

#8 Post by Momma H »

Yea, but he did say that price is only valid if I agree doing the big money maker for him (siding) ... I have gotten other estimates, and no one has been able to beat the price, with or without the combination of other work.

ranger

#9 Post by ranger »

Momma H.
have some pride in your home for gods sakes. you obviously know excalibur are low quality and they also look cheap.
the pro's here gave their opinions but you dont listen and still come here looking for affirmation of a poor quality window.

Momma H

#10 Post by Momma H »

Ranger, this has nothing to do about "pride." I do not know that excalibur windows are "cheap and the lowest of quality." Tis why I came to this forum. I have an actual Simonton 5500 casement window sample as well as an excalibur casement sample. To be frank, I can't tell much difference. However because I personally know of a few people with Simonton windows and they are satisfied, we have decided to jump on the bandwagon and go with simonton. Also, the windows that were put in in this house back in 1992 have held up to now, I can't imagine that these are high quality. 20 years from 'low quality' I would have to say is pretty dam good.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Simonton makes a decent window, they should serve you well for more than 20 years. :D