Milgard SmartCase replacement (or other exterior flush fin)

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
jerryp

Milgard SmartCase replacement (or other exterior flush fin)

#1 Post by jerryp »

I have been trying to decide between a full window replacement and using the easier exterior flush fin over an exhibiting frame like is done in the Milgard SmartCase. We have exhisting cement based

From everything I read, the SmartCase system was designed for new construction to protect the window during other work on the site.

So I have two questions:

1) is the SmartCase (or equivalent) actually recommended? I know people do it but I have seen few reviews about it.

2) if people actually recommend this, who else makes an equivalent system?

thanks!

jerryp

Re: Milgard SmartCase replacement (or other exterior flush fin)

#2 Post by jerryp »

i didnt complete my one sentence that said i have concrete based stucco around all the windows so the fix cost for full replacements of the frames is nearly half the price of the cost of the windows so using something like SmartCase would be a significant savings. but i dont want to compromise the water barrier or something if it is not the best way to do it.

Windows on Washington

Re: Milgard SmartCase replacement (or other exterior flush fin)

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

Stucco flanges have been used for years pretty successfully. If done properly, they hold up and work just fine.