$700 per window for Champion Windows?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
goingtoomaha

$700 per window for Champion Windows?

#1 Post by goingtoomaha »

I was quoted $700 per window including wraps and haul away of old windows for a 50 window job. Is this a good price? They reduced the price to $600 if I buy now instead of waiting for more bids. Just wondering if this a good price or should I try to get it lower. Location is in Omaha, Nebraska.

randy

Re: $700 per window for Champion Windows?

#2 Post by randy »

There are better choices for the same pricing range. Champion windows are middle of the road. Some brands that should be available in your area are Soft-lite, Sunrise, and Gorell. I'd recommend getting two or three more quotes to determine what's fair pricing for your project.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

+1 to Randy's comments. Price is within the reasonable range, but that would be for a high-end window... Not a mid-grade priced as one.

Windows on Washington

#4 Post by Windows on Washington »

Look for a Soft-Lite, Gorell, or Sunrise option to compare it against.

$700 is not out of the range for a great vinyl window, just don't think that Champion is in that class.

Veekay

#5 Post by Veekay »

So if I walk into a car dealership and I wanted to buy a Ford Fiesta and the guy priced it to me at $25,000, but would sell it to me for $20,000 if I agreed to buy it on the spot and not check around other dealers, you wouldn't find that questionable?

The Soft-Lites and Oknas can be had for less than $600 installed. I haven't checked out Sunrise and Gorrells, but I would pass on Champion.

Make sure you shop at least two of those four windows before you let Champion pressure you into any deals.

randy

#6 Post by randy »

The Soft-Lites and Oknas can be had for less than $600 installed.
Really? Do you know the options that the customer is wanting? White frames or beige frames? Grids or no grids? Double pane or triple pane? Do you know any of the installation details?

EcoStar Remodeling

#7 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

randy wrote:
Really? Do you know the options that the customer is wanting? White frames or beige frames? Grids or no grids? Double pane or triple pane? Do you know any of the installation details?

+1

Or even the sizes? Quite a bit of difference in cost between a 24x32 and a 39x74. Especially if tempered glass is needed to meet code.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

I'm sorry Veekay, I have to agree with the others. Saying that $700 is within a reasonable range for a high quality window is quite a leap from specifically saying, " Softlite and Okna can be had for under $600", with no further clarification. There is a pretty wide range of options and installation variables that could put that price over or under that mark. A white DH with no options will be a far cry from a woodgrain interior, coated exterior, with triple pane and sdl's. I realize that you said can be, however, that can mean different things to different people.
What I would say though, is that $600 for a high-end window such as those mentioned is within the range of reason depending on all of the variables, and I definitely agree that another quote or two is in order.

goingtoomaha

#9 Post by goingtoomaha »

randy wrote:
There are 10- 52"x32" and 32- 36" x 32" and 8- 65"x32". Double hung, Beige, no grids, double pane 7/8" with the low-e coating, argon gas. The vinyl frames are foam filled. I believe the Soft-Lite Pro with triple glass would be comparative if not a little better. The Soft-lite Imperial LS is obviously much better than Champion window.

goingtoomaha

#10 Post by goingtoomaha »

randy wrote:There are better choices for the same pricing range. Champion windows are middle of the road. Some brands that should be available in your area are Soft-lite, Sunrise, and Gorell. I'd recommend getting two or three more quotes to determine what's fair pricing for your project.
Thanks for the advice. I checked out the Soft-Lite and they look like a better constructed window compared to Champion. The Imperial LS is no doubt better. The Pro series with triple glass would be a notch above what Champion has to offer. I'm waiting on a bid from the Soft-Lite dealer.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd say that is a pretty accurate assessment. Good plan.

windowman1952

#12 Post by windowman1952 »

So what did you end up doing ?