MI EnergyCore Windows - Anyone have any info?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
Rico7684

MI EnergyCore Windows - Anyone have any info?

#1 Post by Rico7684 »

Does anyone have any information, or experience with MI EnergyCore Windows?

Windows on Washington

Re: MI EnergyCore Windows - Anyone have any info?

#2 Post by Windows on Washington »

Nothing special.

Their U-Factors are not appreciably better than other well engineered triple pane argon windows.

http://search.nfrc.org/search/cpd/cpd_s ... =MEI-A-176

Rico7684

#3 Post by Rico7684 »

Thanks.

So they appear to be comparable to other manufacturers such as Simonton, Okna, Gorel etc.?

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#4 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Rico7684 wrote:Thanks.

So they appear to be comparable to other manufacturers such as Simonton, Okna, Gorel etc.?
No, they have a pocket sill which channels rain water through the sill extrusion's chambers, finally draining to the exterior. That feature is a deal killer for me.

HomeSealed

#5 Post by HomeSealed »

Rico7684 wrote:Thanks.

The U-value on the double pane is very good, and decent on the triple. Unfortunately, as Window4U mentioned, the pocket sill is a killer (Who the heck is releasing new products with pocket sills anymore???)... I'd also be very interested to see the AI and DP ratings, as MI products in the past have been notoriously poor in those areas. I'm also disappointed to see metal reinforcement (as opposed to non-metallic).
Lastly, even if, and that is a big IF, the structural ratings are on par, Mi is a company known for producing cheapo, builder grade windows, and "putting lipstick on a pig" so to speak in their replacement lines which boast a lot of options, but poor performance (AI that barely passes AAMA minimum on the 1650). IMHO, it will take some years of producing quality products that perform before they should even be mentioned in the same breath as the others that you spoke of.

Rico7684

#6 Post by Rico7684 »

With the info provided, I'll be passing on the Energycore windows. Thank you Windows4u and HomeSealed, I appreciate it.

HomeSealed

#7 Post by HomeSealed »

If it were my money, I'd go for the proven performer. At least at looks like Mi is moving in the right direction...assuming it doesn't have an AI rating of .29... In addition, it looks like the are trying to entice new dealers by giving away free ipads. :lol:

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

I want a free I Pad.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#9 Post by Window4U (IL) »

Me too. Is it too late to change my review? :lol:

ranger

#10 Post by ranger »

i heard their IPads even leak alot of air...

Windows on Washington

#11 Post by Windows on Washington »

FYI...air leakage on that new window appears to be 0.09.

Not bad considering their other performances. That being said, I too would not use a pocket window.

HomeSealed

#12 Post by HomeSealed »

That isn't too bad at all... Now they just need to change the sill and build up their track record.

Windows on Washington

#13 Post by Windows on Washington »

HomeSealed wrote:That isn't too bad at all... Now they just need to change the sill and build up their track record.
I wouldn't hold my breathe on that one.

mienergycore

#14 Post by mienergycore »

Hi all:

Patrick Schutte from the Western Division of MI Windows and Doors who makes this window for the western U.S. I appreciate the conversation about our new product line and would like to provide some additional information on the product design. This info is also posted on our http://mienergycore.com website's Ask the Expert section:

There is an age old debate in the window marketplace over whether a pocket sill or a sloped sill design is superior for a double hung window.

The MI EnergyCore double hung window was designed from the ground up using state of the art computer aided design software, finite element analysis, and thermal analysis. Design considerations like water exfiltration were planned and accounted for to make this one of the soundest window systems available on the market today.

The window uses a hybrid sill design, where the sill has exterior sloped drainage in addition to a taller water column height in the pocket. The weep holes (as shown in the attached image) are only .015” off the bottom wall, so as long as the window is installed properly (level) there should be little to no water left in the sill, and any minute amounts there may be should evaporate with the minimal air movement there will be in the sill.

One of the advantages of the hybrid design is that the bottom sash is trapped in a pocket so that negative load is optimized. In fact, the sill design received a DP 65 (9.82 psf) on water with an overall structural rating of DP40 or DP50 depending on the size of the unit. The air infiltration (AI) value is .09 psf which is 2/3 less than the AAMA allowed .30 psf. Another advantage is that the windows are more secure because the bottom sash is not exposed like it is in standard sloped sill design.

While some window manufacturers use the same frame material to minimize extrusion expense, the MI EnergyCore window's frame has a dedicated hybrid sill extrusion that was designed to take advantage of the benefits of both a sloped and pocket sill. To fabricate the dissimilar frame components to exacting specifications, MI Windows and Doors uses an advanced computer controlled welder and a 4 head, 12 tool CNC corner cleaner.

The MI EnergyCore Window System’s unique design results in a more energy efficient, more secure, stronger and quieter window with traditional style. To see how the windows are made using state of the art processes, see our Video Library http://www.mienergycore.com/resources/video-library and our How It's Made Video.
E-Core_SSTDH_Sill_Corner_Drainage w water.jpg
Diagram of sill design with water drainage
(38.2 KiB) Downloaded 278 times

HomeSealed

#15 Post by HomeSealed »

That is good info... What about when the weep hole covers get stuck shut or obstructed? What about when dirt, debris, bugs, etc start getting in the chamber in the way of water's escape path? There are products that have better AI and DP ratings with true sloped sills.