Did I get taken?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
ryan87500

Did I get taken?

#1 Post by ryan87500 »

I bought alside windows 2 years ago for about 1/2 my house. I have been looking at new windows since for some other areas of my house. I have now been reading a lot about alside and the different windows.

I pulled out my contract and was supposd to get "Ultra Elite Series with superspacer" I guess I assumed that meant UltraMaxx Elite windows.

The stickers I have for the window are for model 0201 which I now know are the excaliber series.

Did I get scammed or can you call the excaliber "ultra elite" series? Before I start a huge battle I want to know what other peoples thoughts are who know the windows.

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Did I get taken?

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

To be honest. Alside has so many names for the same window, it's hard to keep up with what the name d'jour is.

ryan87500

#3 Post by ryan87500 »

Do you think it is best to start with Alside to see what window is called "Ultra Elite Series"? There is no series like that on their website but I guess like you said they might have other names for the same series. This all seems very misleading.

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Yeah, now you know why so many of us don't like Alside. I doubt Alside is going to get involved at all. First you will have to find out if that's even a legitimate name, then you are going to have to establish that you were supposed to get the Ultramaxx. Didn't the salesman show you a sample of the actual window you were buying? There's quite a bit of difference in appearance between the Excalibur and the Ultramaxx. I'm surprised you wouldn't have noticed.

ryan87500

#5 Post by ryan87500 »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:Yeah, now you know why so many of us don't like Alside. I doubt Alside is going to get involved at all. First you will have to find out if that's even a legitimate name, then you are going to have to establish that you were supposed to get the Ultramaxx. Didn't the salesman show you a sample of the actual window you were buying? There's quite a bit of difference in appearance between the Excalibur and the Ultramaxx. I'm surprised you wouldn't have noticed.
Honestly didn't do much research which I regret now. A normal consumer wouldn't notice the difference if they have never seen either window before.

EcoStar Remodeling

#6 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

I've never heard the name Ultra-Elite used in reference to an Alside Window Model. They do have a glass package they call the Climatech-Elite but that's all I know. It's possible that the local dealer changed the name for obvious reasons. I wish you luck but I think you're stuck with them unless you can prove they installed the wrong window.

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#7 Post by Window4U (IL) »

I did a google search and found a company who uses UltraElite to describe all his window offerings from Alside, not just one model. With that description, it looks like they could give you any Alside window they want.

HomeSealed

#8 Post by HomeSealed »

Many companies will use their own "brand name" on a window so in the event that they switch manufacturers, they don't have to change all of their literature, etc. By Window4U's post, it sounds like that is the case... The only thing specific is the spacer. When you look down between the panes of glass does it look like U-shaped metal with gray stuff in the middle, or does it look like a solid foam piece?

ryan87500

#9 Post by ryan87500 »

It is the foam spacer in the middle of the window. Seems tricky to me to name a series similar to the better quality Alside window. They did say they were using the Alside brand, so I just figured Ultra must be the Ultramaxx.

ranger

#10 Post by ranger »

Alside let's anyone who sells a certain amount of windows re name a window. For example, if I am a contractor and buy a lot of low end Excalibur windows, I cam call it the " Alside elite x series" if I want. I doubt any deception is going on here. Did you research Alside windows before you decided to purchase?

windowxpertsplus

#11 Post by windowxpertsplus »

why is this an Alside problem, it seems to me as if the blame should lay on the contractor who put these windows in and wrote the contract that you signed. Alside really has nothing to do with this beside the fact that it is their window....and in all the cases i know the model #201 is the excalibur

Windows on Washington

#12 Post by Windows on Washington »

+1

Contractor seems a bit shady in this case.