United 4800 vs. Silverline 8500

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
billnyg

United 4800 vs. Silverline 8500

#1 Post by billnyg »

I know that neither the United 4800 nor the Silverline 8500 would be considered elite windows. However, due to budget and installer restrictions I have to choose between the two for installation in my kitchen and bathroom (3 double hung kitchen windows, 1 double hung bathroom window). Would either be recommended over the other? Should one be avoided?

jeff1995

Re: United 4800 vs. Silverline 8500

#2 Post by jeff1995 »

If you are in S. Cal. Both are 'junk' products. Silverline is better junk than United. IMO, if this is the best your contractor can offer, you might want to change something, contractor or products. Sorry for sharp tongue.

toddinmn

#3 Post by toddinmn »

Maybe price out the Simonton Bronze/ 5050 series or the Soft-Lite Barrington line.Are you installing the windows yourself?

billnyg

#4 Post by billnyg »

Jeff: I'm in Staten Island, NY. Don't worry about being sharp, I want to hear any and all input, as passionate as it might be. I priced another window installer, but I'm also putting in a bay window and they were almost $800 higher on that. That's why I'm kind of left with the installer that mainly uses United and Silverline.

Todd: I have a company called Windowrama doing the install.

They do offer Simonton (which I asked them about today), but they are very hesitant to use them for some reason. They are of the opinion that for my project I would be best served with United or Silverline. It seems like they are looking out for me, because the United and Silverline windows are priced at $400 per window installed, whereas the Simonton would be about $600 installed. The sales guy told me that he'll gladly use any of those 3 windows that I wanted, but he feels the quality of United and Silverline, along with their warranties, are hard to beat.

For me it comes down to this: Will a United or Silverline window, using low E glass, installed properly, be of sufficient quality (most important: keep the cold air out in the winter)? Or are these windows just so poorly constructed that no matter what glass is used and how well they're installed it won't perform as well as someone would expect?

Windows on Washington

#5 Post by Windows on Washington »

I am not a huge fan of the 8500 but the numbers on it are not that bad.

If it is hung properly, it should be a considerable improvement over your existing windows.

The larger issue is whether or not that company is selling a very bargain oriented window will take the time to execute a quality installation.

The other issue is that you can sometimes get a more substantial window for just a few bucks more.

Good luck with the project.

HomeSealed

#6 Post by HomeSealed »

Windows on Washington wrote:I am not a huge fan of the 8500 but the numbers on it are not that bad.

If it is hung properly, it should be a considerable improvement over your existing windows.

The larger issue is whether or not that company is selling a very bargain oriented window will take the time to execute a quality installation.

The other issue is that you can sometimes get a more substantial window for just a few bucks more.

Good luck with the project.
+1. The quality of the product can be hit or miss, so it is certainly possible that you'll have no issues. It will definitely be an upgrade over original windows, it is really more a matter of how many year you will get problem free (seal failures, air leaks develop, warped sashes, etc) operation. WoW makes a very good point on the quality of the install as well. Again, it is possible that everything will work out fine, however, companies who are passionate about their workmanship tend to want to use higher quality products as well.

billnyg

#7 Post by billnyg »

Hey guys...thanks for all the input, I'll definitely take all this into consideration as I move forward.

Thanks again!

ranger

#8 Post by ranger »

I think you are dealing with some very low end windows, especially the silver line 8500. It's a very low grade vinyl and designed very poorly. I would expand my search.

billnyg

#9 Post by billnyg »

Thanks ranger....I've eliminated the Silverline based on everyone's input here. I'm hoping to go to the showroom tomorrow to check out the United 4800 in person. If it seems to be of poor construction than I'll bump up to the Simonton's (an extra $200 per window). United has been around for quite some time, and they have a lifetime warranty, so they're very tempting.

ranger

#10 Post by ranger »

I know the united window very well, it's not something I would ever recommend. I would look at Okna, Polaris ultra, sunrise, or soft lite. If you want to buy from a store, I guess the simonton 5500 is ok. Not as good as the aforementioned but definitely better than united. By the way, the 4800 series from united is their low end line, why not look at the 800?

Delaware Mike

#11 Post by Delaware Mike »

After viewing your post earlier this week I decided to take a good look around one of Windowrama's showrooms. I was out of town on business and had plenty of time to kill. I was up in Union, NJ by the way. I've seen all of the Silverline stuff many a time and would avoid it just on appearance, too many different shades of white from the various components of the window.

I've replaced several lower grades of United double-hung windows with higher quality windows over the years that were all less than 10 years old. Most of them came from the local 84 Lumber stores. I would not feel comfortable with anything less than the very best series from United. I don't even know what it's labeled as? I think Ranger mentioned it above. I did play with the sample and it seemed more acceptable compared to the others that you have been looking at. Ironically, the United plant was less than 1/2 mile from this Windowrama showroom and I stumbled upon it by accident as I took a wrong turn. My point is? I haven't a clue?? The sales rep for Windowrama was really cool and once he found out I was in the business he was especially personable. That's usually not the case.

Good luck.

billnyg

#12 Post by billnyg »

Ah, I was under the impression that the 4800 was the highest model for replacement windows, and the 800 was for new construction. But now I see that the 800 is their top of the line replacement window, thanks for the heads up.

I really want Gorell, but Windowrama doesn't deal them (or any of the others you mentioned) unfortunately. I could get Gorell double hungs from a different installer, but they don't deal Andersen so I would have to get a Marvin bay window with them. The price difference between the two installers was about $1700. I have a major heating system conversion I'm doing right now also, so saving almost $2000 is a much bigger deal at this point in time.

Delaware Mike: That's great to hear that you visited a local Windowrama and had a good experience. Based on what you saw in the showroom, would you recommend any of the double hung products that they offered? Haha...that's also very funny that you ran into the United factory...I can take that as a sign from above, just not sure what kind of sign it would be....

Delaware Mike

#13 Post by Delaware Mike »

I couldn't tell you the first thing about what kind of installations Windowrama puts out there? Installation is so crucial with windows and doors. Larger outfits like this most likely have multiple crews per location and who knows if they have very strict and high installation standards. The only thing that I can recommend is to check the local reputation of that particular store on the internet/complaint blogs, BBB, Angies, and things like that. Most larger dealers will have project managers or field measure techs and it may be in your best interest to state honestly that you would like to have their very best crew install your project and that you have a done a lot of research and are judging the project by the fit and finish work of the capping and caulking. It should go without saying that the windows will need to be be installed correctly as to there is no incorrect tension on the locks or operation of the sashes.

billnyg

#14 Post by billnyg »

Well, I'd say my research is done and I signed the contract yesterday, so let's hope all goes well. Thanks again for all the input from everyone here!