Picture Window

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
zone

Picture Window

#1 Post by zone »

I need to replace a picture window, I think that is what it is called. The window is stationary. I was wondering if there is a big difference with the various brands when it comes to these type of windows or would getting a window from lets say WIndow World be an option?

It seems like a lot of issues are on quality and leaks around where the window closes so wasn't sure if there were issues with picture windows as well.

Thanks.

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Picture Window

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Not as many as with operable windows. However, installation quality continues to be an issue. Not saying all their installs are bad, just that it's hit or miss as it is with big box hardware stores.

On a side note, why don't you want to support a local company owned by one of your neighbors instead of a big faceless corporation? If things continue, pretty soon there will only be Walmart, H.D., Lowes etc. and you and your neighbors and friends will be working for these corporations for barely minimum wage once they have run all the competition out of business.

Windows on Washington

#3 Post by Windows on Washington »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:Not as many as with operable windows. However, installation quality continues to be an issue. Not saying all their installs are bad, just that it's hit or miss as it is with big box hardware stores.

On a side note, why don't you want to support a local company owned by one of your neighbors instead of a big faceless corporation? If things continue, pretty soon there will only be Walmart, H.D., Lowes etc. and you and your neighbors and friends will be working for these corporations for barely minimum wage once they have run all the competition out of business.
+1

The potential for poor installation should be mitigated but I can assure you that it is not eliminated.

zone

#4 Post by zone »

The contract I usually use, uses Alside windows. If I went with Alside do you think it is a problem to get the excalibur for a picture window. I know I hear a lot of bad things but those are all in regards to operating windows.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

Most of us find that mfg lacking for lots of reasons.
One that WOW has mentioned is seal failure, which would be applicable to a PW.
But of all the windows styles that should prsent the least amount of defeinces that we see.