Replacement windows options & questions

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
AK420

Replacement windows options & questions

#1 Post by AK420 »

I am planning on replacing 10 old double hung wood windows and 1 patio door in our house and I am looking at Simonton 5500 or Crestline CrestFit replacement windows. All the windows are around 36" x 48". Currently, the windows are around 30 years old double hung single pane wood windows with storm windows on the outside. We plan on being in the house for another 5 years at the most and I cannot justify spending too much on the windows and patio door, but at the same time I want the best bang for my buck.

For the Simonton 5500 windows, I am looking at the following config
Argon, LowE(SC), 1" IG thickness, Super spacer and half screen. The Simontons run about $200 each. With just the regular spacer and 3/4" IG thickness the units run about $185. The full screen for all of these windows would run me about an extra $10-$20 per unit.

For the Crestline windows, I am looking at the following config
Argon, Smart R Low E, 3/4" IG thickness, Warm Edge spacer, and full screen. These are special order through Menards and run about $189 each.

For the patio door, I am considering the Simonton 5500 patio door or the Pella patio door available at Menards. My current patio door has a width of 6 1/2". The Pella patio door is 6 1/4". I am not sure if the Simonton 5500 patio door would closer match this width.

Anyone have experience with Crestline windows? Recommendation between Simonton or Crestline windows? Also, recommendations between Simonton or Pella patio door? Where can I get performance info on Crestline windows and Pella patio door? The performance on Simonton products are on their web site.

I have a contractor who is going to help me install the patio door. I will be doing the window install myself.

Thanks for the help,
Arjun

Window4U (IL)
Location: Sales and Installation in Chicagoland and Central Illinois

#2 Post by Window4U (IL) »

With the options you gave us to choose from, it's no contest. Go Simonton for the whole job.
I've never met anyone yet who was satisfied with the Crestline windows from Menards. At least the Simontons have some decent quality to them.