Premier Windows, MD - Thermal Industries - reasonable quote?

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
fezragnus

Premier Windows, MD - Thermal Industries - reasonable quote?

#1 Post by fezragnus »

I received a quote this weekend from Premier Window and Building Inc. in Maryland and wanted to get your advice on whether I am getting taken or not.

11 windows 34x65
1 patio door 6'

I believe this company uses Thermal Industries and the quote was for P7 windows. I am unsure as to which model TI window this equates to. All windows and slider have triple pane, krypton. The slider I believe is the Legance model. Original quote was for 17k and after much deliberation and the salesperson saying I was getting the friends and family rate.. the estimate came to 9k. We signed with them as this seemed to be a great price, however, I after reading this message board, I am now unsure. Any advice I could get would be greatly appreciated as I am willing to cancel the contract, should I come to find out I am getting raked over the coals.

Much appreciated,

Ezra

TheWindowNerd

Re: Premier Windows, MD - Thermal Industries - reasonable quote?

#2 Post by TheWindowNerd »

9k does not seem out of line for the TP. The 8K drop is scary.
The Legance door is a good performer.
Ask for the U SHGC and air infiltration for the windows. Let us know then we can comment.

fezragnus

#3 Post by fezragnus »

Anthony - thanks for the quick reply. I know the U value of the window as a whole is .19, however i need to get the other values for you. Will post them as soon as possible.

EcoStar Remodeling

#4 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Unless they have re-designed it, the P-7 has a snap in pocket sill. If so, I would avoid it. There are better windows for the money.

fezragnus

#5 Post by fezragnus »

Ecostar- I do believe this is a snap in sill, but I honestly can't remember from the demo. I did find out that their P7 is a renamed Park Avenue which, after reading this board seems to be a decent window. You feel we could get better windows for the estimate we received?

as for the values - SHGC is .25 and I am still working on air filtration. Thanks again for all the advice.

TheWindowNerd

#6 Post by TheWindowNerd »

If it is a pocket sill I would not use it either.
You should look at Okna, Sunrise, or Soft-lite.
I do not know if he serves your area, WOW (you will see lots of his post) would be the best person to get a quote from.

fezragnus

#7 Post by fezragnus »

WOW's showroom is actually only about 10 minutes down the road from my home. I was planning on stopping by at lunch. What woud be the going rate for a triple pane slider, since it now looks like I am going to be cancelling my contract for the Thermal Industries.

Much appreciated.

TheWindowNerd

#8 Post by TheWindowNerd »

What size, color, options, type of install, etc?
Eric or one of his salesstaff will be able to come out measure everything and give you a fair price.

HomeSealed

#9 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd definitely recommend stopping by Windows on Washington. His product will blow that one out of the water in every regard. Great guy to deal with as well--consummate professional.

fezragnus

#10 Post by fezragnus »

Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice on the windows. I did stop by WoW this afternoon and spoke with Brandon for almost 2 hours. I do not have much experience with window sales however, I can definitely say this is a top notch operation. Brandon took the time to explain all the NFRC measurements, the Okna product line, the proper consideration, and potential pitfalls one can encounter. I was especially pleased when he was willing to provide me a per window quote right then and there, which is in stark contrast to the high pressure/must have fiance present/ no breakdown estimates I have received prior to this. I have another appointment tomorrow for Brandon to come out and make a specific recommendation and take measurements.
I was very impressed with the Okna line and do feel this to be a superior product. It is however a bit more than the quotes for the Park Avenue windows. Other major difference I see is the sill design.
I also took a look at the Okna slider. Very nice. Are there sliders out there that utilize the same type of monorail design as the Legance(Thermal Industries). I did like this feature, however, noone here considers Thermal Industries to be a top level/high value product. In lieu of this, I was thinking about looking for a different model with the same monorail type slide mechanism. Specs are 6' x 80", vinyl, white hardware, triple pane/krypton Any suggestions?
Also, has anyone heard of solar coating on a double pane window (3rd layer?) The soft-lite dealer in this area mentioned this as an lower cost alternative to triple pane/krypton.
ok. It seems to be down to Okna and Soft-lite, leaning heavily towards Okna as Soft-Lite appears to be even more costly. Still up in the air as to which direction to go with the slider. As always, thanks so much for the continued advice/ information and putting up with the longwinded posts.
Regards -Ezra

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Ezra, in regard to "layers of low-e", etc... don't fall prey to any salesmanship. The numbers (u-value most importantly) will tell you how a window/ door will perform.... Secondly, have you seen a corner cut of the Okna door and its sill??? Holy cow! That is one serious door!..... The Legance is easily the strength of the TI product line, but the Okna product is a BEAST.

fezragnus

#12 Post by fezragnus »

Homesealed, I did not get a chance to see the cutaway. I will have to do that when I bring my fiancé to WoW this week. As for the door being a beaSt, I have to second that. It was very heavy, yet operated smoothly.

HomeSealed

#13 Post by HomeSealed »

Look at the sill, vinyl thickness, etc in reference to the other options... Then combine that with the performance #'s, and your decision will be pretty clear. :D