Soft-Lite Elements and Sunrise Vanguard

For all those Replacement Window decisions - just read, review or post a question. You will be helped!
eoh

Soft-Lite Elements and Sunrise Vanguard

#1 Post by eoh »

I live in the St. Louis area and I am replacing eight windows in my home and the patio door. The windows are 2 double hung 42 x 52 windows, 1 twin double hung 72 x 60, two 2LT. sliders-48 x 32 and 36 x 36 and two 35 x 24 temepered, obscure bathroom sliders. The sliding patio door sliding patio door is 6' x 6'8". I have received bids for Soft-Lite Elements and Sunrise Vanguards from two established, reputable window contractors. White interior and exterior. I like the looks of both windows.

The Soft-Lite Elements bid:

Removal and haul away of old windows, low e argon glass with super spacer, executive Insulation package-foam filled frames, k-beams, low expansion foam filled frames and wrap and cap-$6,094.00 with tax.

Install White Soft-Lite Elements patio door with executive insulation package is $1,998.00. Wood Grain Interior is and additional $250.00.
Total: 8.092.00

Would be wiling to install Sunrise patio door for same price.

Sunrise Vanguard Bid:

Removal and haul away of old windows, VG 12 glass system, glass guard spacer, standard fiberglass core and foam filled frames, all voids silled with fiberglas insulation fiberglass meeting rail and wrap and cap-$4,309.38 with tax.

Install Sunrise (south facing) patio door with omega 12 glass, insulated voids and wrap and cap for $2,134.10. Wood Grain Interior is and additional $234.00.

Total bid $6,443.00

Seems like both are fair prices. Are the Elements worth the additional $1,650.00? Any thoughts?

EcoStar Remodeling

Re: Soft-Lite Elements and Sunrise Vanguard

#2 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Both are excellent windows. I'd go with the Vanguard b/ c it's less$ and I like the Sunrise door better.

HomeSealed

#3 Post by HomeSealed »

I'd agree that both are excellent choices. I would not pay an additional $1600 for the Elements, buuuuuut, the additional $ could be justified in a superior installation. It sounds like the Sunrise guy uses fiberglass insulation around the window opening as opposed to low-expansion foam. Fiberglass can be done effectively when properly used (ie: blind stops are caulked, etc), but many guys don't do that. The expansion foam in itself is not worth the premium, however, it could be indicative of a superior overall installation which could justify the extra cost. Just some food for thought.... The sunrise deal is obviously more appealing, you might just question him more about the installation procedures.

Delaware Mike

#4 Post by Delaware Mike »

Omega 12 for St. Louis climate? Does your house currently have too much southern exposure? I would think that the regular VG-Plus (double silver/titanium soft coat low-e) would be more appropriate. I like the Sunrise door much better than the Soft-Lite. I agree with Homesealed's overall advice.

TheWindowNerd

#5 Post by TheWindowNerd »

+1

Windows on Washington

#6 Post by Windows on Washington »

+2

Product wise you can't go wrong with either. Focus on the install details and get a better feel for the contractor.

eoh

#7 Post by eoh »

First, I would like to thank everyone for the great advice and insight you give everyone on the forum. Both companies specialize in the installation of windows and doors....so I think both will do a very good install.

HomeSealed, thank you. I will ask about the fiberglass vs. low expansion foam....based upon previous posts on the forum, that difference did catch my eye and I thought the foam was the better choice.

Delaware Mike....thank you for the input as well. The back of my home does have southern exposure alll day-I had to remove a large wild cherry tree that partially shaded the deck due to sickness. The sun does beat into my sliding patio door most of the day. I wonder if the contractor noticed the sun beaming through the patio door while at my home and thought the Omega 12 was appropriate?

I am sold on the Sunrise door thanks to the advice I received here.....have checked it out at the showroom. Seems very well made and I really like the rolling system...will be a great improvement over my construction grade pella and the poor prior install.

Thanks again all!

eoh

#8 Post by eoh »

Just a follow up. The Soft-Lite dealer rep contacted me and reduced his price to $5,252.00 for the Elements windows. Also indicated that he could upgrade the windows to the Ultra S Glass triple pane package with low e, argon and super spacer at no additional cost in connection with a Home Show promo. He can also install the Sunrise Vanguard Sliding Patio Door for $2,125.00. I am impressed with the sales rep and his professionalism....makes me beleive the install will be well done and it will be the same executive insulation package with low expansion foam and . Any thoughts form the pros here on the upgraded glass package?

EcoStar Remodeling

#9 Post by EcoStar Remodeling »

Yes, my advice is to jump on that deal. Congratulations!

Windows on Washington

#10 Post by Windows on Washington »

EcoStar Remodeling wrote:Yes, my advice is to jump on that deal. Congratulations!
+1

Smoking good deal.

HomeSealed

#11 Post by HomeSealed »

Looks good to me. :D

Delaware Mike

#12 Post by Delaware Mike »

Out here in Jersey/Delaware I take the approach in that I feel a good double-glazed low-e option will do most homeowners very well. The payback on triple and the amount of heating oriented months doesn't seem to all that popular. Most of the homeowners that I talk to these days stress that their main concern is air infiltration followed by general poor condition of the existing windows. The Elements has such tight tolerances and fantastic AI numbers that I'm sure that you would be fine with double-glazing. With that being said if you go with the triple I doubt that you will regret it. My customers that invest in the triple-glazing never want anything other than triple when they go to replace more windows. I have a homeowner on an extremely tight budget that we installed 3 Soft-Lite Imperial LS with triple-glazing w/argon plus the upgraded Super Spacer for last year. He wants 3 more right now and will not go with double-glazing.

That dealer's upcharge for the triple is very attractive.